• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D I really need everyone to have their fingers crossed for Nena

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I know a few of you follow my thread in health about Nena, but we've reached a bit of a scary moment now so I thought I'd post here. The thread is here for anyone who wants to read: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?415173-Nena-s-jaw-tooth-root-abscess

Basically it's been 7 and a half months since her first surgery with Marie Kubiak for her tooth root abscess, and 15 weeks since her 2nd surgery. She has also had a previous surgery at another vets for the same abscess. She's been off her antibiotics for 4 weeks now and we thought we'd got rid of all abscess material, but the hole in her cheek (which was around 4 x 3mm and about 5mm deep) wasn't closing because of the poor blood supply there after the multiple surgeries. Today I took her back for a checkup and Marie isn't happy with how slow it's closing up now, and she also felt another lump which is likely to be an abscess. So Marie managed to squeeze Nena in for surgery today, which is fantastic as Marie is away all next week so we'd have to wait a while otherwise.

We have 2 possible scenarios from the surgery:

1) If there is an abscess and it's self contained Marie will remove this and the rubbish healing tissue and stitch it all up, which means an end to my months of flushing the wound and packing it at least twice a day. Bar the post-op follow ups we should be in the clear.

2) If there is an abscess and it's branched off into separate tracts or into the bone again we have to make a decision regarding her quality of life. She's very happy within herself even after all these months - she's binkying, licking everyone, has a full appetite and is generally just acting normally. She's remarkably resilient and every vet who's met her has been shocked at how chilled out she is about it all. However, I've noticed excess caecotrophs recently which could be stress related and also it's just not fair to continue for another 3 or so months when it's already been so long.

So basically I really need all your well wishes and fingers to be crossed for a good outcome for Nena :(

Last edited:
I hope it's good news. You've done amazing caring for her for so long, it's so unfair that she's been so poorly but so lucky that she has you to look after her!

Thanks guys, I'm really scared :( She deserves to come through this okay and have many more happy years. I know I'm biased but she's such a lovely bunny :(

I've already commented on the other thread (I got very confused for a minute there!) but I really hope you get the news you want today. Poor Nena :(

Thanks guys, unfortunately I've just had a phone call and it's not good news :(

Nena has loads of little tracts coming from this new abscess into the bone. Marie has taken as much as she can out, and put in antibiotic infused cement type stuff and stitched her all up. She'll be going back on ceporex antibiotics in the meantime but we only have about a 25% chance of fixing the problem now :cry: If nothing else, this should give her some more time with us. I just can't believe it :(

She's come round from the operation fine but she's staying in overnight because she's not long woken up. I'll be picking her up in the morning. :(

Thanks guys, unfortunately I've just had a phone call and it's not good news :(

Nena has loads of little tracts coming from this new abscess into the bone. Marie has taken as much as she can out, and put in antibiotic infused cement type stuff and stitched her all up. She'll be going back on ceporex antibiotics in the meantime but we only have about a 25% chance of fixing the problem now :cry: If nothing else, this should give her some more time with us. I just can't believe it :(

She's come round from the operation fine but she's staying in overnight because she's not long woken up. I'll be picking her up in the morning. :(

Oh, Gabi :( I'm so sorry to hear this. How devastating :(

I really, truly hope that you can get more time with your special girl. You both deserve more time. xx

I'm so sorry it isn't better news. :( antibiotic cement sounds good, I've never heard of it before. 25% is still a chance she'll make a recovery so I am sending lots of good thoughts, hugs and vibes for lovely Nena and to you.

I am so sorry that it was not better news. I hope that Nena will recover well from the op' and that she can remain as comfortable as possible for as long as possible xx

P:( I am so sorry to read the updates on Nena. Nena and you have been through so much, such a shame the abscesses have been so stubborn and difficult to treat. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Xxx

Back