• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you pack for a day at the vets?

GabyEmilyB

Warren Scout
So George is in the vets tomorrow for an x ray and I've never had to pack him off somewhere before so I think I'm over thinking it a bit lol

The vet said pack some food for him, so I've backed a medium sized sandwich bag full of a mix of hay, a few fenugreeks incase he needs talking into eating, some dried forage and some fresh veggies incase he's not sure which he fancies.....he is very quick to sub either if he fancies the latter, spoilt bun! I'm also packing his water bowl and a toy.

Am I overdoing it?lol

Nope!

When mine were spayed, I sent in a carrier bag of hay, a little tub of pellets, and a lunchbox full of herbs and veggies :thumb:

The more variety the better as their appetites can go funny after GA

I think you've been very restrained! :lol:
You could, perhaps, add a few pellets just to complete his suitcase?

That is pretty much what I packed for the girls when they went in for their spay. I hope everything goes well and the X-ray doesn't reveal anything sinister :thumb:

I wouldn't take the toy, he'll be out of it and disorientated from the GA and it's just another thing for him to trip over/ bump into. They should provide a bowl themselves once he is self-aware enough for it not to be a danger to him.

The only thing I'd say to take as well would be a few pellets, I usually take in half their daily pellet ration. If Barney is feeling particularly sorry for himself I also take one of his blankets (a used one, not a clean one) to put in his carrier so it smells like home.

I don't think you're going overboard with the lunch-box, although to be honest most of mine always comes back uneaten, as they give him critical care recovery food and excel hay.

I wouldn't take the toy, he'll be out of it and disorientated from the GA and it's just another thing for him to trip over/ bump into. They should provide a bowl themselves once he is self-aware enough for it not to be a danger to him.

The only thing I'd say to take as well would be a few pellets, I usually take in half their daily pellet ration. If Barney is feeling particularly sorry for himself I also take one of his blankets (a used one, not a clean one) to put in his carrier so it smells like home.

I don't think you're going overboard with the lunch-box, although to be honest most of mine always comes back uneaten, as they give him critical care recovery food and excel hay.

This. I wouldn't bother with the bowl or toy - it's just more things for the vets to store and then use/clean/remember to return! He probably won't even pay attention and as nessar said, it's another thing for him to trip over.

I only sent some spring greens and half an eggcup of pellets with Alfie when he had an x-ray. My vet always give him some Critical Care regardless of how well he's doing. She also picks him some dandelions from the gardens :D

If it was for a dental I'd take more variety in, as they're less likely to eat. If it's just an x-ray, personally, I wouldn't go all out. That way I can spoil him when he gets home!

Just found out that apparently the vet isn't going to give him a complete anaesthetic....just a bit of gas to calm him down and reduce the risk of putting him under for a short x ray. Anyone heard of this being done before?

Back