• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling a little anxious....

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So Hugo and Parker have been together for 10 days now and all seems ok. No problems at all, haven't seen any aggression or anything and they seem to have bonded well. Lots of grooming - mainly Hugo on Parker but occasionally Parker will groom Hugo.... Lots of lying and sitting together and they'll even try to nick each other's treats/food without either getting angry!

But, for some reason though, I keep feeling nervous that they are going to suddenly become unbonded and fight. Although there hasn't been any sign of it at all... Last night for example I woke up in the night thinking I'd heard a noise of the puppy panels rattling so run downstairs imagining them 'chasing'/fighting only to see them sitting happily together and looking up at me as if to say and what's your problem....!

I know it's stupid and I need to get a grip and stop driving myself unnecessarily crazy.....I think I am also apprehensive of moving them to my back porch which will be their permanent base as that was where Parker lived before and I am worried it could affect their bond if she gets territorial.

Any advice as to how you can be sure a bond is solid, or about the transition from bonding area to permanent base would be greatly received!! x

i've never bonded rabbits, only guinea pigs, but it sounds like it's going really well. :love: when you think they are ready to move back to their permanent place, just wait a while longer to be extra sure. all you can do is move them and see. they'll let you know if it's the right time. if not, move them back. just have something ready incase they fight. but it sounds like they'll be fine :wave:

I think it sounds great :thumb: enlarging space or moving them can cause chasing etc to start, but if you have them in their bonding space for as long as possible when you do move them the bond will be really cemented. I think you've painted their new pad too haven't you? So it will seem different to Parker too :thumb:

Thank u for the responses....I do like to stress myself out... !!

For the last 4/5 days I have allowed them both to free range around my living room when I am home. The extending of this area didn't cause any chasing at all, they pretty much acted in the same manner as when in the puppy panels. And yes! the back porch has been painted and I have put down Lino so I hope Parker doesn't find it too familiar. I am planning to keep the base I used for her before (to contain their litter tray and hay) and the little ikea bed but have tried to neutralise these as best I can. Am planning to buy a few new bits as well. Could the two existing items trigger territorial behaviour at all?

Was going to think of moving them this weekend so think I will postpone to the following....! xx

I would think if they've been free ranging together in a large area they would be fine to try in the porch. I bet they'll be fine. I would just put any litter trays etc that you have been using in the bonding area into the porch, and then add other things like the bed and toys that they used to have after they've settled in.

After 10 days with no scuffles I would consider them fully bonded if they were mine, obviously I would supervise any introductions to new areas but I doubt there will be any problems if they are so happy together. :p

Of course scuffles are always possible, no matter how much you love someone (or somebun) there is pretty much always going to be the odd minor disagreement!

I know what you mean about waking up convinced that you hear fighting, when Loki and Farore were still a new bond my OH found me still mostly asleep wandering around upstairs trying to work out where the bunnies were and why I couldn't hear fighting anymore... The buns were in their room and eating hay! :oops:

Feeling quite jealous actually, I'm currently on hour 6 of a bond... It's going quite well but I already want to go to sleep and this is going to be an all nighter :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Haha! My aim for tonight is to not go downstairs again once I have gone to bed!

I totally didn't think about only putting the litter tray used in their bonding area in the porch and then introduce other items after so will certainly be doing that - thank u for the tip!!

Good luck with your bonding! Hope the night isn't too long...! xx

Back