• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray bunny (gone to rspca)

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Long story but basically unwanted pet rabbit that has been 'set free', currently roaming around a large garden with lots of gaps in the fence :roll:

Any ideas on the best time to go and see if he can be caught? I'm guessing dusk/dawn? He's living off the flower beds so is this when he'd be wanting his breakfast/tea?

Last edited:
If it were me I'd go now while they're sleepy :lol: Dusk and dawn will be when the rabbit is most active so might give you more of a run around.

I don't think there is a best time really. I'd go asap because I'd be worried about the rabbit eating anything poisonous or being attacked/getting hurt. But that's just me and I've never had to do something like that before.

I've just been, and sent my dad earlier in the day but no sign. There's some decking in the next garden and I think he goes under there to sleep. I asked the people in the flats (it's a residential home) and they see him every day, he begs at the windows for food!

Typical luck that's he always around, but when I go he clears off :roll:

A small tip for catching a loose bun, take a washing basket! :lol:

I have managed to catch a stray bun by lowering a washing basket over her and then she was trapped, she was relaxed about it because I was more than an arms reach away from her and in my experience works better than a towel as the throwing action to get the towel over the bun normally spooks them!

Whenever any of my rabbits have refused to come out from under a shed it has always been after dark when they emerge. They can't see so well in the dark and if you are very quiet you can corner them etc. Good luck.

take a long brush. 'Mr Brush' is invaluable when rounding up rabbits. Tabitha bites him but he doesn't care. He's a man of iron -well... wood...

After much chasing and now I'm exhausted! He looks very scruffy bless him :(

Will get some pics when he's calmed down.

His bum is mucky and he's covered in fleas :cry: Claws are overgrown too.

I'm waiting for the RSPCA to ring me back - I'm concerned about him passing anything onto my buns - he's not neutered and hasn't been treated for his fleas so I'm sure he's not vaccinated :?

He's sooooo cute :love: I want to snuggle him all up but I'm terrified of fleas and bugs, I'm already scratching all over!

oh, how cute :love: well done on helping him. poor little one. how can people just think it's ok to set them free :(

It's awful isn't it :( The people at the flats knew the house where he had come from - apparently they replaced him with a guinea pig and just let him loose. I'm concerned about the pig too - saw it wandering around their garden freely, which sounds lovely but it's totally not secure, there's cats all over that area and the garden is full of broken bottles/junk and ashes where they've had a fire!

I can't imagine getting rid of my pets and replacing them with another :cry: If the RSPCA try and return him to the owner there's no way I'm letting him go!

It's awful isn't it :( The people at the flats knew the house where he had come from - apparently they replaced him with a guinea pig and just let him loose. I'm concerned about the pig too - saw it wandering around their garden freely, which sounds lovely but it's totally not secure, there's cats all over that area and the garden is full of broken bottles/junk and ashes where they've had a fire!

I can't imagine getting rid of my pets and replacing them with another :cry: If the RSPCA try and return him to the owner there's no way I'm letting him go!

sounds like you'll hear about the piggy being set free aswell in not long :( maybe tell them about the piggy aswell and his/her unsuitable living conditions. x

Last edited:
The RSPCA will try to return to the owners but the owners will no doubt surrender him. I hope he goes to a good RSPCA centre. Well done for catching him, poor guy sounds like he's had it rough. :cry:

Yay he's eating and pooing :D He'll only eat pellets and not hay but it's something.

His poos don't look very good, they're very small (pic below in case you want to skip!)

Probably never seen hay before! Shadowfax was exactly the same when I found her. Try picking some grass and forage. :thumb:

Back