• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavior Concern. Please Advise.

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
I appreciate that my babies need settling in time but yesterday was hectic with my 3 buns and I need advice again please. This is a bit long.

Yesterday morning they were out in their run on the lawn and I was having a coffee in the conservatory with door open. Heard high pitched squealing and looked out the window and there were my 3 buns running around in frantic circles. I went to check them and by now there were two at one end and one of the females, Bumble Bee, at the other drenched in water...she had obviously run throughout the water bowl) plus there were tufts of her fur everywhere. There had obviously been a sibling kerfuffle (2 against 1).

I took her out, dried her off, gave her a cuddle and put her back and all was well. They were buddies again.

It was only about an hour later when my daughter had a cuddle that I noticed a nasty laceration on Bumble's elbow of her left front leg. They don't have fat there but It was almost throughout to the bone. We think she got bitten by the other female who is very confident and bigger. She was weight bearing and did not appear to be in the slightest concerned. I phoned my vet practise and as there was no doctor there, the nurse suggested isolating her and keeping her quiet until I could have an appointment in the evening. I did this but Bumble became quite frantic and distressed at this by trying to rip the bedding to shreds and digging out of the pet carrier, so I felt it better to put her back with her litter mates and she settled.

I was taking them all to the vet anyway for their vaccinations and my vet was brilliant with her and sutured her wound very quickly under local. She didn't cry or squeal and has been hopping around quite happily but has obviously been traumatised as today she has been quite aggressive towards me. She won't let me hold her and has tried to rip my blouse with her teeth and digging with her front paws into me as if trying to make a hole.

I know they did not enjoy the trip to the vets because they were thumping quite a bit but whilst the other two are happy to be picked up, bumble is not and she was not like this before. How do I win back her confidence?

Did the vet send her home with ongoing painkillers? I'd imagine if the wound was big enough to require sutures then it is probably quite sore. If it hurts then she will be being extra defensive especially if with an injured leg she feels like she would struggle to run properly and therefore be vulnerable.

Did the vet send her home with ongoing painkillers?.

No painkillers. I did ask but he did not think she needed them. She is weight bearing perfectly and bunnying around so I did not think she was in pain. It was skin he sutured as there is no flesh in that area. Sorry if I am sounding doff :oops:. These buns are a new experience for me.

Back