• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive Doe

Jamessa18

New Kit
Hi All,
First of all I just want to state that I live in New Zealand and domestic RABBITS are not over populated here, so please no advice on breeding more unwanted rabbits
Anyway, I have a lop eared doe and a dwarf rabbit.. I think they may have mated when first introduced (about 16 days ago).
Yesterday I separated them and now my doe is very agitated, aggressive and lunges every time we put our hands in to pet her or feed her.
She seems to always want to eat but is not pulling out fur or COLLECTING straw.
I am a first time rabbit owner and am hoping to let her have one litter before they are sexed.
I tried to palpate her but could not FEEL anything. Could she be pregnant though with the symptoms I have described? Any help would be great. Thanks
PS: Sorry I have also posted this in the chat section. Please correct me if I have done this all wrong. First time on here ;)

Hello and welcome. You won't be getting any breeding advice here as it's a pro rescue forum so don't worry.

Yes, it is possible she is pregnant if she has been mated. You can either ask a vet for an emergency spay or just wait and see.

I can fully appreciate you may be somewhere that vets don't see rabbits very often but here is the UK it is normal practice to neuter all rabbits and keep them in opposite sex pairs. If you have a good vet maybe this could be an option for you for the future? The agression which you are seeing may not be linked to being pregnant if you are lucky and may just be down to hormones kicking in which is perfectly normal in an adolescent rabbit. Again, neutering sorts that out.

Hello and welcome. You won't be getting any breeding advice here as it's a pro rescue forum so don't worry.

Yes, it is possible she is pregnant if she has been mated. You can either ask a vet for an emergency spay or just wait and see.

I can fully appreciate you may be somewhere that vets don't see rabbits very often but here is the UK it is normal practice to neuter all rabbits and keep them in opposite sex pairs. If you have a good vet maybe this could be an option for you for the future? The agression which you are seeing may not be linked to being pregnant if you are lucky and may just be down to hormones kicking in which is perfectly normal in an adolescent rabbit. Again, neutering sorts that out.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
Sorry for coming into the wrong forum, I thought I must have. :oops:
As I stated, I would like her to first have at least one litter before she is neutered, but yes I will def be taking her and her mate to the vet after that.
I set my time zone as being different from my own as I was not getting any responses and thought I might have got a better response if I went to a different country. I realize every county is different as a pose to the welfare and caring of animals (and weather they are overpopulated, etc) so please dont think I am ignorant. I am happy to see that alot of people all over the world take great care in helping people realize and think first before breeding there pets.
Thanks again for your input though, I really appreciate it. :D

Back