• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What am I doing wrong?

Hollieldee

New Kit
I had to rush my rabbit to the vets last night...£125 later and she's back to her normal self thank goodness!
The vet pointed out that Rufus is a little overweight but I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Rufus is out loose in the garden after I've sorted my horse out so from 7am to 6pm under our supervision (unless we go out somewhere, then she goes back in her hutch). She's constantly running around chasing our cats and playing with her toys so exercise isn't an issue.
She is fed (per day) 25g pellets, unlimited hay and then a bowl of veg every evening. I honestly don't know what I can do, I don't know whether I'm giving her too much veg or what but personally I think if I were to cut down on the veg then it wouldn't be enough? What do you think?
Thanks in advance.

I assume Rufus has constant access to her run when she is not in the garden, ie her run is attached to her hutch so she isn't confined to her hutch from 6pm.

I don't know how much it weighs, but the generally recommended amount of pellets for an adult rabbit is an eggcupful once a day.

The most important part of the diet is hay - should form at least 80%. If she is filling up on pellets, then she won't eat hay, so it may be worth checking. I think an eggcupful is about the same as a tablespoon, but any reduction should be made very gradually.

I use a thick layer of newspaper with hay on top in hutch and litter trays, to encourage as much hay eating as possible, so I think this is a really good idea. Straw has little goodness in it.

My rabbits love their herbs and green veg - I avoid carrots and fruit because of the sugar content.

The diet sounds fine but are there any plants in your garden that could cause a tummy upset? There are many plants that are either poisonous or would cause pain if ingested. But to be honest, GI stasis (which is what I assume yoyr bub had) can seem to appear out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. My buns have a regimented diet but can still, occasionally, get colic.

The diet sounds fine but are there any plants in your garden that could cause a tummy upset? There are many plants that are either poisonous or would cause pain if ingested. But to be honest, GI stasis (which is what I assume yoyr bub had) can seem to appear out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. My buns have a regimented diet but can still, occasionally, get colic.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, Rufus has a run attached to her hutch, she comes in at 6pm during the winter and as it's been getting colder recently. However in the summer she's usually out until about 8:30pm as we are always out late in the garden and it's so light still. Exercise is definitely not an issue. I just didn't know if I was perhaps over feeding her? The vet weighed her and she was 2.7kg.
She did have GI stasis- well, the early symptoms of it.

By my reckoning 25g is about an eggcupful.

<offtopic>It's not very useful having literature tell you an eggcupful is the right amount, or a tablespoon or, worst, a handful. I've seen too many people use dessertspoons for tablespoons, my hands are half the size of my partner's, and I've seen all sorts of different sizes of eggcups, including actual cups!</offtopic>

Is there a quick ready-reckoner for pellet amounts by (adult) rabbit weight anywhere?

Maybe you could spread the veg about? I've stopped bowl feeding altogether and Lopsy's much happier now. Can't vouch for his weight as I've not had him that long :)

What breed of rabbit is she? I must mention that not all vets know about bunny weight..Some breeds will be naturally heavier and some are naturally lighter. You need to go on their body shape and what is normal for them.

How much does she normally weigh?

Back