• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Much And How Often?

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
I have tried to search other threads so sorry if this is a repeat of a question already asked.

Am I feeding my 9 and half week buns correctly? They each get an egg cup full of pellets in morning and evening including a good handful of greens between the three of them twice a day. They are out on the lawn during the day for grass along with access to hay and then the have a supply of hay in their hutch throughout the night.

Is their greens/fruit/veg supply adequate. They polish it off in a jiffy.

Usually we would recommend holding off feeding babies veggies until they're at least 14 weeks. If you're not finding any health issues at the moment then that's fine but don't pile it up! Their gut bacteria is only just developing to cope with it.

At 9 weeks they can be free-fed pellets. It's adults (6 months plus) where you limit the pellets. When they're growing babies they can have a few handfuls of them a day.

Usually we would recommend holding off feeding babies veggies until they're at least 14 weeks. If you're not finding any health issues at the moment then that's fine but don't pile it up! Their gut bacteria is only just developing to cope with it.

At 9 weeks they can be free-fed pellets. It's adults (6 months plus) where you limit the pellets. When they're growing babies they can have a few handfuls of them a day.

Thanks Catxx. The reason I give them greens is because this is what the breeder was doing because her big bunny family all mix together and she feeds them all together so essentially they have eaten greens and veg from weening. I also checked with the RWF pamphlet on feeding. Just not sure on the quantity.

I have never fed ad lib pellets to Baby Rabbits, but I do feed more than an eggcupful twice a day. I usually feed about twice that amount, more for very large breeds.

If the Babies were weaned onto having Veg, as yours were, then there is no reason not to continue feeding it to them. I would only feed one portion though given that they are also out on grass. I would only feed dark leafy greens or some fresh herbs. I do not feed any of my Rabbits carrots or fruit due to the high sugar content. Not good for the teeth or the tummy, especially for Babies.

A wide variety of hays would be of most benefit and ideally they could be on an almost exclusively hays/grass/forage diet by the time they are 6 months of age.

I have never fed ad lib pellets to Baby Rabbits, but I do feed more than an eggcupful twice a day. I usually feed about twice that amount, more for very large breeds.

Yes I'm not sure about the "ad lib" idea for babies either, but they do need a few more than adults. A couple of handfuls through the day to nibble on should do it. And of course a ton of hay!

Back