• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Laminate flooring and house rabbits UD rug ideas

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Anyone else have this?

We just got our carpet pulled up (what was left of it, thanks bunnies!) and replaced with laminate. Lilly is not enjoying the flooring so far! It's only been in half an hour so fingers crossed she gets used to it! We will be getting a rug in the centre of the room and I have put down foam mats around her litter tray and hutch so she can get jump in and out without worrying and slowly explore the flooring.

How long did your bunnies take to get used to it? Did they get used to it in the end?

Harvey used to slip on our marble fire place but after trying to walk on it every day he quickly learnt how to and found it easy and hardly slipped on it (this was one of the things that alerted me to him being seriously unwell as he jumped on the marble and started falling over :()

Silly Lilly must feel like I hate her with all these changes! It's just all a horrible coincidence :(

Any tips on making it easier for her?

Last edited:
Boots slipped about a bit at first, but now he runs around binkying on it no problem. He used to stick to spending more time on the rug but he very quickly got used to it. If she seems uneasy maybe have something down even if it's temporary to provide her with a walkway from hutch to the rug so it's not an island in the middle of the room :thumb:

Boots slipped about a bit at first, but now he runs around binkying on it no problem. He used to stick to spending more time on the rug but he very quickly got used to it. If she seems uneasy maybe have something down even if it's temporary to provide her with a walkway from hutch to the rug so it's not an island in the middle of the room :thumb:

That's good to hear :) she tried the laminate twice and doesn't want to leave her litter tray now :roll: it is 4x2 foot and right in front of her 3 story hutch so she isn't confined to a tiny space! I'll put little walkways of foam flooring down with fleeces or blankets for her too, not going to get a rug until the weekend.

The laminate looks great though :D soooo much more practical than carpet when there are bunnies in the room!

Yes, laminate is great for that :thumb: but stray poos roll a long way on laminate :roll::lol:

Yes, laminate is great for that :thumb: but stray poos roll a long way on laminate :roll::lol:

:lol: I'm used to finding poos in odd places, Harvey had a skill which involved firework poos :shock: he'd be part way into doing his business then out of nowhere run to the other side of the room (normally excitedly, I can only assume he thought he saw something like a treat!) or binky, jumping over the high sides of the litter tray and firework-ing poops everyyyyywherrreeee! :lol: it wouldn't happen every day, but at least a couple of times a week! It did make me laugh as annoying as it was!

My boys avoid it like the plague and we've been in my flat for 9months. The tend to stick to the hallway or they use the rugs as stepping stones if they really wanna come in. As for my kitchen it's Lino with a massive rug in the centre. They never step off the rug. It's like they are in a cage but without the cage lol !! How ever my boys may be wimps, lily may be completely different. :lol:

My boys avoid it like the plague and we've been in my flat for 9months. The tend to stick to the hallway or they use the rugs as stepping stones if they really wanna come in. As for my kitchen it's Lino with a massive rug in the centre. They never step off the rug. It's like they are in a cage but without the cage lol !! How ever my boys may be wimps, lily may be completely different. :lol:

Oh dear, they do sound a little wimpish :p Lilly will not have access to anywhere with carpet, the kitchen is tiled and the rest of the downstairs (hallway and living/dining room) is all laminated now! There's only carpet up the stairs and on the landing, then in 2 bedrooms out of the 3, she's not allowed in any of those areas, so I suppose she'll have to learn to walk on the lino!

She's still not left her litter tray :roll: not that she's too bothered, she's completely flopped out and I just laid next to her and she got lots of nose rubs and kisses and she didn't get up once so is super chilled out, she is up now and is eating hay between going to sniff the floor from the safety of the litter tray!

I would be interested to find out how bunnies take to laminate, as between the children and the rabbits our carpet is not how it used to be!

I would be interested to find out how bunnies take to laminate, as between the children and the rabbits our carpet is not how it used to be!

The carpet fitters said my carpet was the worst one they'd ever seen :oops: in all fairness is wasn't THAT bad a month or so ago, but in the couple of weeks leading up to the wedding and the week since I've been home I let it get very messy :oops: plus Lilly started tearing the carpet up with even more vigour after Harvey died :( it's only been a couple of days but instead of the couple of 2inch square holes there was about a foot square hole in one corner :shock:

We have Amtico and Samantha and Truffles were fine on it, but we got a lot more binkies when we got a big rug to put down.

I can imagine binkies being difficult on laminate!! I will definitely be getting a rug though so she'll be able to binky on that :D not that she's in the mood to binky much :(

I finally left the room and immediately heard her exploring! She's explored the room a few times now, but she'll only hop very slowly! She'll get the hang of it!

Mine aren't the biggest fans of the laminate flooring, but it's great for them in summer when they want to cool down they lie flat out on it! :lol:

Mine aren't the biggest fans of the laminate flooring, but it's great for them in summer when they want to cool down they lie flat out on it! :lol:

Ooo yeh it will be good for that :D

When Lilly falls off the sofa it does sound horrific when she lands though :shock: she just tried jumping onto the arm rest of the sofa from the floor which is nearly 3 foot high and sloppy leather :roll: she actually made the jump ok, then sat and didn't notice she was sliding backwards slowly until she was falling! Silly silly rabbit! She's ok though, she jumped straight back though and managed to secure her positioning!

Ooo yeh it will be good for that :D

When Lilly falls off the sofa it does sound horrific when she lands though :shock: she just tried jumping onto the arm rest of the sofa from the floor which is nearly 3 foot high and sloppy leather :roll: she actually made the jump ok, then sat and didn't notice she was sliding backwards slowly until she was falling! Silly silly rabbit! She's ok though, she jumped straight back though and managed to secure her positioning!

Haha aww silly bun! I do find I'm trimming their claws more often to help with the grip on the floor. They'll definitely get used to it, Dog and Cat are quite confident on it these days, Dog even drag races himself out of his tent and tunnel and skids half way across the living room! :lol:

One of my rabbits doesn't do very well with laminate flooring, she can't get a grip and when she tries to stand on it her legs just spread underneath her, looks quite funny when that happens though. :oops: We've got rugs on the floor now. The other bunny is absolutely fine on laminate so guess it's very bunny-specific.

Three of my bunnies are fine with it, although it's a bit slidey when they're being silly and I'm always worried about injury. My other rabbit refuses to tolerate though and will only emerge from bed if I roll out a piece of carpet. Like the queen. She might be colour blind though because she doesn't seem to mind the fact that it's beige rather than red lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine aren't too keen and tend to stick to the rugs unless I offer a treat and then they scoot across it like Usain Bolt :lol:

She's getting used to it, walking a lot faster around now, although I wouldn't say she strictly likes it, but she's improving so fingers crossed it'll be natural to her soon!

I think I'll try trimming her claws more regularly (lucky me....)

See George is really weird about it!

He will only lie on the laminate!i give him lovely soft beds, fleeces, rugs and he will always choose the hard, cold laminate lol

But when it comes to walking on it, he tries to avoid it lol I've bought cheap carpet tiles to create stepping stones between my rugs for him which he loves. The laminate didn't help with his accident last week so I'm being very watchful. He was running like a loon, clipped his bowl with his foot, skidded on the laminate and collided with the table :( I was a bunny mummy wreck!lol I think the carpet tiles help and even though they are aren't pretty, they can removed easily when you have guests or want to clean.

Agree with this :D

Mine lie under the table and hide on the cool floor. I throw down some Ikea rugs for them but to be honest they have got used to the slippery floor over time.

Back