• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter housing help/suggestions please?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I've currently got two pairs sharing my 12ft x 12ft aviary, which is split in half. I had hoped to bond them before winter and then move them into the shed with daytime access to the aviary via a runaround, but although they live happily alongside with no referred aggression, things aren't looking good for bonding at the moment, so I feel I need to plan what will happen if they stay as two pairs.

Currently one pair have a 5ft double hutch as their shelter and one pair have a coop, which gives more overall floor space than the hutch as they don't have a ramp and just jump in and out of the 'upstairs/inside'. However, obviously neither of these is ideal long term really.

I can move one pair into the shed and give daytime access to half the aviary, but I'm not sure what to use as a shelter for the other pair, who are Rexes, that will be warm enough over winter as we're in Scotland. The aviary is all covered except the front two foot of roof, so I don't need to worry too much about rain etc getting in. Whatever it is needs to be inside the aviary itself I think, as we do have foxes about and I like the extra security it gives, but obviously that also means I don't really want to take up too much of the floor space and maybe something two level would give some extra space, but these are active bunnies that like to stretch up and out.

Any ideas at all will be great fully received! Thankyou!

Could you split the shed in 2 either width ways, lengthways or even have an upstairs pair and a downstairs pair in the back of the shed, and give access to the aviary with runaround pipes?

Thanks. The shed is only 5ft x 7ft, so not really big enough to split. I also can't make any holes in it as we're in army housing so will need to leave the shed in the condition is it is when we leave. This also means no 24/7 access from the shed as we intend to make a double meshed false door with a fixed panel at the bottom to attach a runaround to, which will go into the aviary, but I think I will need to take the runaround off each night and shut the shed door properly to make it secure enough/keep the weather out. I'm not eve sure if that makes any sense?

I suppose I just need something like a small shed/large box that the bunnies can use to hide/shelter in when the weather is really dreadful and cold, but a playhouse doesn't appeal to me as it's too 'square', although I've no sensible reason for disliking the idea. (Except I sold my playhouse and run and buying another may mean imminent divorce)

I remember someone posting pictures of some new accommodation on a Rabbit Welfare Association stand somewhere quite recently, it was a sort of large box type thing with an attached run, but I can't find any information on it on the RWAF page?

Hmm, a difficult one. Could you take off the shed door and save it, and use some marine ply to make a panel to fix in the bottom with 2 runaround holes in the bottom of it, one on each side and then a top that opens like a stable door so you can step over into it , with the shed split in half giving each pair 7ft x 2.5 ft. Then they could have 24hr access to the aviary. I'm not sure if I'm visualising it how it is though, we might need some pics :thumb:

Thanks. That might work, although neither of us is very good at DIY! :shock:

What about one of these as a shelter or as a shelter for each pair in their half of the aviary? Obviously it doesn't really give any extra floor space, but I could pop a little hut/kennel in each one for an extra level of the roof of it inside and use a runaround tunnel fixed to one of the doors to give access in and out? Do you think the tongue and groove ones would be sturdy/non draughty enough?

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Storage/BillyOh-Pent-Bike-Store/23835

Well those do look good, and I suppose you could take them with you when you move? :thumb:

Billy Oh shed range

It's a great idea...I just bought a Billy Oh shed for mine, different size, but the same range- rustic overlap. It's good value for money...though I will definitely be insulating it with a second inner plywood skin...I reckon they are pretty draughty without one and possibly not fox proof as the shed panels themselves are quite thin. There are gaps and draughty areas otherwise, as it is a 'budget' shed. But overall, I'm pleased with the Billy Oh shed. Gotta do my DIY though to winter proof it.
I think the T&G model is sturdier than the rustic overlap, they had one on the back of the truck that delivered mine. But can't say how much sturdier. I'd still put a second plywood layer inside to insulate, but it's not too difficult to do.
And, yes, you could take them with you when you move.

Last edited:
I've just bought a secondhand wendy house which is shiplap/tongue-and-groove type, but will still need insulating when we get it. It's 5' x 4' but they also come in 4' x 3' which mght be more suitable for you. Again, not ideal DIY-wise but could be added to the inside of the aviary like a second smaller shed which you can do with as you please. I'll be insulating mine more against the sun as ideal placement is more in the sun than I'd like and we're near a city and next to water so our microclimate isn't as cold as most. If you can get a secondhand already-insulated something, that would be brilliant! Depends on if you've got (access to) a vehicle big enough to do pickups though, as I haven't and have to factor that in as a cost (I'm very short so can't/won't drive anything 'bigger' than an estate car so Transits and the like are out too!). I would also not call my DIY skills amazing, the drill on hammer setting tends to be quite hard to handle, but so far nothing I've put my (tiny) hands to has been a complete disaster, including putting up shelves and cabinets! Ready-to-fit shelves are probably a good idea if you want a second level, and I doubt rabbits will care TOO much if they're not quite fitted straight ;P

I'd offer to help with DIY mods, but I can't afford the time off to come to you :)

Last edited:
Midori, just a quick question.......... (About to do school run but will forget if I din't ask now lol)

From one Army wife, to another have you done a move with your aviary?? We've just got a pair of rabbits and have lots of grand ideas but with a move on the horizon I don't know how it would work moving something large. (I'm already worrying about moving the hutch/run set up that we currently have).

H

Thanks for the ideas. I will have a think. I will admit I was hoping not to insulate if I can help it. Last year my pairs had a Wendy house and their kennel and run which each had a small kennel/house in packed with hay and they were fine, although it wasn't Baltic. I did give them snugglesafes, which they weren't impressed with so I gave up in the end!

I do like the idea of the bike sheds as they are a good size and good price as well as tall for stretching up etc. Plus easy to move and if they ever do end up bonding into a quad I can link them together easily/make them into one long indoor home and maybe even add some extra fox proofing and have them on the outside of the aviary as they're not tall enough to be too much of an eyesore.

Family moose, we haven't done a proper move with the bunnies yet. We did move at Easter, but only a few miles up the road and we only brought a 10ft x 5ft kennel and run and brought the aviary after we got here. I partly chose the aviary as it is easy to put up/take down though, it's from Happy Chicks. Hopefully it will be easy enough to move, but we're hopefully here for at least another 2-4 years. I think making good the ground in the garden will be the most challenging thing as if we pave we'll obviously have to turf/reseed where the aviary is now before march out.

I imagine you could do a bit of insulating to the existing housing and they'd be fine. The trouble is bunnies tend to like sitting out even in bad weather. The bike sheds look good too though and you could add a shelf inside. I don't know how much time they'd spend in them though - depends on the bunnies :)

Adding partly covered areas with things like a low table or pipes gives them more option for being tucked away. It sounds like you already have things covered well, otherwise a tarp will help keep heat in. If they are on paving, having a wood platform gives them a warmer floor for sitting on too, just pop it where there favourite napping spot is :)

On moving - most aviaries come as individual panels (e.g. 6'x2') so you can split them back into sections to move. You could also bolt them together instead of screw if you wanted. Or my dad swears by adding a little washing up liquid on screws before putting them in to make them come back out easier. Also use screws designed to avoid rusting.

Thanks. It's been mild but heavy drizzle here all day today and the bunnies have bee hiding, even though the aviary is covered. They are clearly wimps! :lol:

I could probably make the coop do by boxing it in around the outside or something, but the hutch is definitely too small. Plus the coop is a bit of a pain to clean really.

I am going to have to think about it.

Inside the run it doesn't have to be super secure so depending on your DIY skills you could build a simple plywood box (lift off roof doubling as a bunny shelf). You could double up the wall and fill the gap with polystrene to make it snug.

Back