• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried about Harvey UD he's gone

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
At about 930 him and Lil were chilled and flopped out happily, I stopped by them and gave them a naughty treat (half a bran flake each :oops: I know I shouldn't have and am now feeling guilty in case that caused it) which he accepted with excitement

At 945 he suddenly jumped up as if he had had a nightmare, ran to the marble fire place which he often lays on especially on hot days, but this time he was slipping everywhere rather than able to walk on it like usual, he had ears in panic position and he was hyperventilating, then he flopped, got up, flopped, got up, stomach pressed, got up, flopped again etc etc and I knew something was very wrong, then he freaked again and ran behind the sofa. I went to look and could see his back end sticking out, I poked him and nothing, I honestly thought he was dead, I pulled him out and he didn't react at all, didn't even try to stand up, got him in my arms and he was a bit floppy, then he got some life into him, but just sat on my lap not moving much which is unlike him, then he ran back behind the sofa to a point out of reach (he never ever goes out of reach from me, he only uses behind the sofa as a cut through to get to a cosy spot between the sofas NEVER lays in it :?

I called the vets then, they said it's only been 10 mins so I should monitor him, I said I'd give metacam and see how he went so he had that at 955. He then went to his water bowl and dunked both paws and his chin in and just sat there, hyperventilating still until Lilly humped him when he walked off and flopped by a wall looking uncomfortable, he's been there ever since hyperventilating, although has got up to change position once :? I'm going to wait for the metacam to have enough time then take him to the vets if he's not feeling better. He won't accept any food :?

I don't really understand :? he's had stasis before but this is weird, this was very very sudden and different to his stasis episodes :?

Last edited:
I wouldn't even wait, I'd get him to the vet now as it sounds like an emergency. Hope all goes well xxx

I wouldn't even wait, I'd get him to the vet now as it sounds like an emergency. Hope all goes well xxx

This. I don't have any experience of this but I'd get to the vets asap. Sending mega vibes xx

Just sat in the consultation room with Lilly and as she's not exactly the best conversationalist I'm sticking on RU on my phone!

So a quick update: Harvey has lots of tummy pain :( they've taken him back for bloods, they would have expected that if it was just colicky pain that the metacam would've done something which it doesn't seem to have :(

Poor Harvey :( I can't believe how sudden it was :(

Thanks for all the vibes

Not really much wiser to be honest :( although at least we have a plan

Bloods wise, his glucose was slightly raised suggesting that there definitely is something wrong, although could just be pain. His PCV was normal though which means it's very unlikely to be something very serious and emergency like a perforation or liver torsion.

On examination she said that he was breathing fast and had a tender abdomen but apart from that there was nothing else she could get from examination.

In summary, we're a bit stumped, but it is most likely to be stasis as he's had it before, although this is a slightly different and more serious presentation of it. So we're going to treat as if it is stasis, if he's no better in the morning then I'm to take him back in and they're to run run full bloods and do abdo x-rays then

He's had an analgesic injection and I have zantac (gut stimulant) and emeprid (anti-emetic) to give him. This approach normally works in his stasis bouts so if it is stasis this should work fingers crossed. Also have critical care.

Poor thing looks miserable still :(

Just popper to tesco, I have coriander and parsley (just ran out at the worst timing!), strawberries and cookies (the cookies are to cheer me up, not him! Although if he hasn't eaten by morning I'd rather him eat cookie than nothing!)

He started fitting, he's not going to make it I'm sure, at vets, he's completely lifeless, hardly breathing.... As many vibes as possible needed :(

It's horrible not knowing but on the positive side, it's not something that required emergency surgery and he's home with you to keep your eyes one him.

Come on Harvey, sort your belly out and get back to normal :) xx

EDIT: just seen your recent post!serious vibes coming your way!!!!

Back