• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cassie - selective feeding and not 100%

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Cassie is not 100% this morning. Can't put finger on it so she is booked in this afternoon (earliest appt they have) to get checked over. She has pooped, is eating some foods but not as much as usual. She is refusing fenugreek crunchies.

She is nibbling bits of hay, cabbage and has had about 5 science selective (but refused pro-fibre). Tummy is soft.

I have given her 1ml of gripe water (not sure how much you are supposed to give) in case it is gas.

Going to give tummy rubs now and try to get some warm water into her. I won't syringe any food of course as blockage would need to be ruled out.

Is there anything I am missing. So paranoid after losing Katy last year I don't want to miss anything.

She had a dental 3 weeks ago..........

I would say oral discomfort is a possibility, even though she has only just had a Dental. Did the Vet mention the exact Dental issues she had ? Any lumps along her jawline ? Watery eyes ?

Is she drinking/weeing OK ?

Hope she is back to normal soon xx

Thanks Jane, I was suspecting that too so will make sure she is checked. She has been eating lots of hay since her dental so not sure why she could have problems so soon after. The vet we are seeing this afternoon is the same vet that did dental (only the nurse handed her back) so he will be interrogated!

She did have watery eyes which is why we booked her in (had previously had eye drops) and they have been OK since. She did have them flushed too and think one was blocked a bit.

She has taken 10ml of water at 10 am and again at 11am willingly. She has eaten some spring greens and hay but she is "not herself"

She has passed poop which is very tiny so have them as a sample for vet, so a definite gut slowdown. She is moulting so wondering if maybe some discomfort but no sign of fur in poop.

She seems a little brighter in herself and I have her gently hopping around the garden at the moment.

It may be that her GI tract is struggling due to a combination of eating less and ingesting a lot of fur. IME Rabbits who's Dental problems include tooth root issues can go off hard feed but they will continue to eat hay and foods they dont have to 'crunch'. Tooth root elongation can cause ongoing pain. Hopefully with appropriate meds she will soon be back to her normal self xx

Thank you, we are getting regular poops which is good and she has just taken a fenugreek crunchie.

Keeping up with the gripe water 1ml each hour (she weighs about 2.5kg) more or less and fluids about 5ml and gave her 5ml of fresh pineapple juice (straight from pineapple) in case it helps.

She has had some metaclopromide, zantac and metacam and we have some for the next 3 days for her. Vet gave her a good check over and had a good look in her mouth but nothing too concerned about but did say that they were starting to wear uneven already (he was vet who did the dental). She has been eating lots of hay since dental so was surprised to hear this.

Her tum was soft and no sign of roots on jaw line etc.

She is nibbling bits and pooping hard small ones. She is having some critical care now (vet said OK to give) so hoping she will pick up shortly. We are continuing with the water although she was drinking herself and pineapple juice.

Hope your girl is soon feeling better and sending healing vibes to her. Teeth problems are so horrible. Xxx

How is Cassie doing now ?

Personally I would not give any more Pineapple Juice as all the sugars in it can actually cause more problems with gut dysbiosis. I know some people do not agree with this, but a few very Rabbit Savvy Vets have told me this is what they now think to be correct.

Sending more vibes xx

Thanks for asking Jane.

I haven't actually given any more pineapple juice.

She lapped up the critical care last night and this morning she is brighter in herself but still not 100%. Her poops are a bit bigger and regular but still "hard". She is happily munching away on hay but was putting up a fight re critical care this morning so a bit more feisty. There was more over her and me than in her :roll: She is still not eating pellets. She has had some more emipred and zantac and about to give her some metacam.

Thanks for asking Jane.

I haven't actually given any more pineapple juice.

She lapped up the critical care last night and this morning she is brighter in herself but still not 100%. Her poops are a bit bigger and regular but still "hard". She is happily munching away on hay but was putting up a fight re critical care this morning so a bit more feisty. There was more over her and me than in her :roll: She is still not eating pellets. She has had some more emipred and zantac and about to give her some metacam.

I wouldn't worry too much about her not yet eating pellets. Lots and lots of hay and plenty of water should get things moving better. As will some exercise. It sounds as though her GI tract was on 'go slow' for some reason xx

Thank you x

Well, she seems to have finally turned a corner tonight and is chomping away on the grass (for about an hour now) and round at the back door with Rambo so nice to see them as partners in crime again.:love:

I will continue with the meds to be on the safe side though for today and tomorrow and monitor poops closely.

She has been so-so today and refusing stuff but then feeling a bit better towards the evening. a bit like yesterday. She is still passing poop but small still.

Still have meds for tomorrow and will review on Weds.

She is now proving difficult to get meds into :roll:

She does have a nice moult going on, wondering if that possibly has anything to do with it. There is not much hair in poops when I break them in half :mrgreen: but wondered if they can feel "under the weather" during a heavier moult.

Back