• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I repair this?

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
I really could do without the expense of a new hutch and run this year so wonder whether I can repair this damage and then re paint the whole lot whilst we still,have some dry weather?

Someone said he could repair but when I checked he was putting another layer of T&G on the outside. This would not work as I have to lift off the top of the run and it obviously wouldn't go past this, so it had to come off again. He's not willing to take off the top of the hutch to take out and replace the damaged panels.

Could I use woodfiller on the outside and then fix a piece of hardboard on the inside using No More Nails? It isn't clear from the pic, but the damage goes all the way through, so there is hole.

I'm really not much good at this sort of thing and would be glad of any advice.

0affa330210fe2892835566bfea4d8ae.jpg

If you just want it to last a winter, yes: maybe woodfiller? I don't know: best ask you Local Friendly DIY Shop. You might be best off trying to 'pack' it first with smaller offcuts of wood, or trying to sand/file/cut a bit of wood to the approximated size and shape first to get a better seal. Then fill it. Just woodfiller would leak inside. If you've got any modellers in the household, Milliput would 100% be worth trying as it's less liquid-ish.

Covering it with hardboard would be next to useless as hardboard soaks up moisture like a sponge and warps everywhere. I'd suggest just leaving it with a smooth surface just exposed, which leads me to a question... What's caused it?

DO you have to fix it on the outside? Could you just cut a sheet of outdoor ply to put on the inside instead?

I'd need to see a wider picture to see how it fits together, but if the boards are on the outside of the frame, the best repair would be to remove the bottom two damaged boards from the frame and slot new ones on.

If you didn't want to replace the whole boards, you could probably saw off the damaged ends, and just replace the section. You'd need to fit an extra batten inside so you have something to screw into.

I expect you'd be able to get matching board in most DIY shops, they tend to be standard sizes :)

I'd need to see a wider picture to see how it fits together, but if the boards are on the outside of the frame, the best repair would be to remove the bottom two damaged boards from the frame and slot new ones on.

If you didn't want to replace the whole boards, you could probably saw off the damaged ends, and just replace the section. You'd need to fit an extra batten inside so you have something to screw into.

I expect you'd be able to get matching board in most DIY shops, they tend to be standard sizes :)

Unfortunately I don't think I could do this and have been unable to find someone willing to undertake.

No reason at all why it shouldn't go on the inside. Would No More Nails be ok?

I'm not experienced with No More Nails I'm afraid! I'm guessing it's an adhesive, so probably would be fine for the short term. I'd probably screw it...

Unfortunately I don't think I could do this and have been unable to find someone willing to undertake.

Take a wider picture so I can see the edge and inside of the same area and I can give you more detailed instructions :) You could probably get the DIY shop to cut the new pieces to size for you so it would probably just involve prying the old ones off and hammering new ones in. So you'd just need a hammer and a couple of nails.

Back