• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Fiver. U/D now ear mites!

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
As some of you know he hurt his leg/back when coming round from a GA. It was thought that perhaps he had trapped a nerve or possibly it was something to do with the arthritis in his spine. It's taken a long time but he has practically fully recovered or at least he had until today. He's been in his outdoor setup all day whilst I was at work and when I brought him in I've noticed he's hurt his leg again. It's nowhere near as bad as the first time but he is not fully weight bearing on it and it's sticking out at an odd angle again. I noticed the swelling has come back over his hip area, too. :cry: :cry: Fortunately it doesn't look like he's lost the feeling in his toes but I'm sure I saw him knuckle over a bit when he was hopping.

He has had his usual pain relief; he doesn't seem in pain so I plan on just keeping an eye on him. I am worried that at 7 years old this is the start of him losing the use of his back legs. I know I am probably being paranoid but he is my soulbun and I am having a bit of a panic thinking about him having something serious going on with him. I'm hoping he's just been a bit too energetic and has binkied into the side of the run or jumped off the shelf in the hutch and landed awkwardly.

Do you think I should keep him in tomorrow if he hasn't improved? My bedroom is far from being "safe" as he can jump onto my bed and my windowsill and whatnot so he won't exactly be "resting" but I'm wondering if being on the damp grass has also had something to do with it. I had to put them out at 8am this morning because I start work at 9 and at that time the grass is still very wet.

I'm not in a brilliant place myself so this has really played on my anxieties. I'm at work all day tomorrow and I know I'm just going to worry about him all day. On top of his I found a huge chain of poos in the hutch, so one of them is obviously struggling with their moult. I gave Shadowfax and Xena a brush (which they HATED) and I got quite a bit of fluff off them. I got none off Fiver, even though he is moulting quite a bit. :( I am really dreading going to work tomorrow. I just want to spend the day with my babies. Fiver is definitely not feeling well because he's been super cuddly and just been wanting kisses and cuddles from me. :cry: I wish I could cure his arthritis.

Last edited:
Worried about Fiver. (Bit of a WIM thread)

Oh poor thing!

I have to say, I'd keep him in where its warmer and there is a comfy bed!

Hopefully, he'll be brighter by the morning. You have my sympathy, I hate going out if I think Hector is not right. :(

Last edited:
I'm sorry to her this has happened, VB. And just when you got the sore hocks under control too. :(
My only experience with arthritis in bunnies until recently (it would appear my other two are getting to that point as well now) is Mimzy, who was early onset at three years. He is now about 7 years and has significant hip spurs and spondylosis, but with a regular dosing of metacam, which my vet and I are increasing incrementally so as not to reach an "ending" point too soon, it seems to do the job. We've talked also about tramadol and gabapentin in the event that metacam is not enough, but quality of life will always come first.
Certainly if the weather changes or the house gets cold, I will hear a bunny tearing at his flooring to let me know he is uncomfortable and to either turn up the heat or get cracking with his greens and dose. :)

I would guess that being on wet and possibly cold grass will aggravate any condition but as far as the swelling is concerned I would be wary that it is a new injury. And of course the older they get the more likely this will happen, but I know you can't keep him on cage rest because he goes bonkers. :(
I sympathize with you not being able to be home with him. :( He sounds a right cuddle bug and I know you just want him to be well and happy and when that is when he's with you it makes it all the more frustrating if you can't be there. I hope you can spend some time with him and just enjoy each others' company for awhile soon.
I would go ahead and bring him inside, even if it means he's got things that you might have to watch him jumping onto...at least you have that much control and he gets to be with you (I'm assuming this is overnight?) which obviously he wants to do. :love:

I empathize with the 'pearl strings'...I was having no more of them for awhile with the new hay but now Pip has shown a few in the last day or so and she is a real bear to get groomed. Especially since moving to her new enclosure I get a lot of stick from her about almost anything with the exception of when I'm handing out treats. :roll:

Hoping Fiver will be feeling better soon. (((((((((((((Vibes))))))))))))) xxxxx

Thank you both.

Fiver and his girls come in at night. They only go out when it's a nice day. I think I'm going to stop putting them out for this year, now. It's only been getting to 18 degrees celsius at the highest and this morning it was only 12. :shock: It warmed up through the day but obviously the benefit from the grass on Fiver's hocks is not worth him being uncomfortable because of the cold and damp. I am thinking he has hurt himself again. I wonder if he's been chasing the other two and banged himself or been "over-humping". :roll:

He is so special to me and I know that he loves me and sees me as "his". Despite him having two girls of his own species he still chooses to be with me over them. When he feels poorly or upset over something he always wants me for cuddles and kisses. He hops into bed and snuggles up next to me every night and every morning. He is not like any bunny I have ever known.

The string of pearls was the largest one I have seen. I know the cecals are probably from Xena because she doesn't deal with grass too well, although these are the only ones I've seen for a while so I thought she'd finally gotten used to the grass. One or all of them are obviously struggling with the amount of fur going through their digestive systems. :( They've been eating plenty of hay and grass so I'm surprised they are having a problem.

Ugh. I hate feeling so stressed.

*Screams*

Xena has ear mites. Would you believe it?

Question: Will I need to treat them all for ear mites even if they are not showing symptoms?

Bloody bunnies.

Can rabbits have cider vinegar????? There is a book for human artheritis by Margaret Hills and one of her recommendations is cider vinegar (with honey) three times a day...

I do hope you get a good cure for the ear mites and that Fiver's leg improves.

Can rabbits have cider vinegar????? There is a book for human artheritis by Margaret Hills and one of her recommendations is cider vinegar (with honey) three times a day...

I do hope you get a good cure for the ear mites and that Fiver's leg improves.

I feel awful for not noticing earlier. She isn't scratching or shaking her head at all. :? She definitely has mites, though. Very strange.

I think I will treat them all just in case. The other two need their teeth checking, anyway. Fiver seems to be doing ok. His leg is still swollen but he doesn't seem to be in any pain. Hopefully it heals up again soon. :(

Back