• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a new friend

camerajuan

Warren Scout
Okays.

I've had Phoebe in as a house rabbit since she was 7 weeks old and she loves it here. She's now 11 weeks and almost 1kg in weight. Cutest thing on Earth.

Looking to get her a friend. Mini Lop is definitely my choice of breed. I'm just worried about her becoming territorial or defensive if a new rabbit comes into "her house". Is it best to get another female or a male? I'm unsure what the best idea is. Also housing, do I keep them separate until neutered or spayed?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you could find a neutered 6 month old male Minilop that would be ideal. Then you could introduce them now before Phoebe becomes territorial. The longer you leave it then you would have to be more careful where you introduce them (neutral territory would be sensible).

If you get a baby it would probably be best to wait until they are both neutered before introducing them. Phoebe would be old enough to be spayed at the same time as the boy who would then be around 3 - 4 months.

Want you need to do is 'bond' them in a neutral zone, so somewhere Phoebe hasn't been before so therefore doesn't consider to be hers. I think some people use the bath!
I believe it is easier for female and males to bond with each other in comparison to female and female, as females are more likely to be territorial. But it's up to you!
If you get a male, you can separate them when they become sexually mature to prevent any baby bunnies! Then you can get them both neutered. I would ask your vets for what ages they recommend to neuter them.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

If you could find a neutered 6 month old male Minilop that would be ideal. Then you could introduce them now before Phoebe becomes territorial. The longer you leave it then you would have to be more careful where you introduce them (neutral territory would be sensible).

If you get a baby it would probably be best to wait until they are both neutered before introducing them. Phoebe would be old enough to be spayed at the same time as the boy who would then be around 3 - 4 months.

That's the plan but most sellers are getting rid of the babies by 8-10 weeks old and so not neutered. I've read that males can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop but there is no set time limit for this, could be anytime from 3-4 months upwards. Vet said Phoebe can only be spayed at 6 months old and we're hoping to get another one before then. Are there any dangers involved if one is neutered and the other isn't? Like could there be any complications for either of them?

Want you need to do is 'bond' them in a neutral zone, so somewhere Phoebe hasn't been before so therefore doesn't consider to be hers. I think some people use the bath!

The only place in the house Phoebe hasn't "declared" is our main bathroom so that should't be a problem. The flat is pretty much hers otherwise!

Thanks to both. Was hoping for some advice and got it. :D

That's the plan but most sellers are getting rid of the babies by 8-10 weeks old and so not neutered. I've read that males can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop but there is no set time limit for this, could be anytime from 3-4 months upwards. Vet said Phoebe can only be spayed at 6 months old and we're hoping to get another one before then. Are there any dangers involved if one is neutered and the other isn't? Like could there be any complications for either of them?

If you go to a rescue then they will have bunnies that have already been neutered. They may also be able to help with bonding.

If you go to a rescue then they will have bunnies that have already been neutered. They may also be able to help with bonding.

The Southampton Rescue Centre website doesn't actually say where it is and the phone number went right to voicemail! Anyone know where it is?

If you've never bonded before I'd advising waiting until both are neutered beforehand. Whilst you can bond an unsprayed young female with a neutered male it does not come without its complications as she matures and a less experienced person may miss the early signs and risk jeprodising the long term bond.

If you've never bonded before I'd advising waiting until both are neutered beforehand. Whilst you can bond an unsprayed young female with a neutered male it does not come without its complications as she matures and a less experienced person may miss the early signs and risk jeprodising the long term bond.

I thought as much. It may be simpler waiting and buying a neutered male to bond with.

When's the earliest that females can be spayed? Vet said 6 months old minimum but I've seen 4 months and even 3 months on several online sources.

I thought as much. It may be simpler waiting and buying a neutered male to bond with.

When's the earliest that females can be spayed? Vet said 6 months old minimum but I've seen 4 months and even 3 months on several online sources.

3 months is far too young for a spay, the reproductive organs will barely have developed. Most vets like to wait until 5-6 months. The organs will be easier to find and the rabbit will be hardier to the invasive operation.

What about Blue Cross Southampton? They have rabbits.
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2586/1/...reed=&uf_Location=Southampton&uf_Sex=#filters

Back