• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! What to do!

catxx

Mama Doe
There's someone giving away a rabbit free just down the road from me on a freelisting. Been listed for a few weeks now. Still available. Apparently female and neutered. Apparently. I have no room and would need to find a rescue space but all the local rescues are full. What to do?! Anyone know any rescues with space or room to foster?!

The ad says "rabbit and cage for free". The only email response I got was "yes available, female neutered". She doesn't look in dire need but there are only two pics of her, from above while she's sat in a plastic cage.

Could you email back and find out a few more details - why she's being given away etc etc.

Is the cage on there too, and does it look v small?

Could you email back and find out a few more details - why she's being given away etc etc.

Is the cage on there too, and does it look v small?

With the advert consisting of 5 words and the reply consisting of 6 and I did ask a few more details I'm not holding out much hope for getting much more out of these people. The cage looks like an average 3ft plastic "rabbit" cage. Can't see the full size but it's not huge.

I think you need to ask does this rabbit need saving? - the answer is probably no.

This rabbit has food, shelter, most likely vet care (as the owner obviously paid for neutering at some point). If you take her and move her to a rescue, that takes a space away from a rabbit on their waiting list that might not have those things.

Whilst it would be great if every rabbit could benefit from rescue facilities, there isn't enough space so it's best not to take rabbits from situation where there welfare is ok unnecessarily. Giving some advice on rehoming is a good compromise instead.

Back