• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frantic!vibes for George's bad leg :'(

GabyEmilyB

Warren Scout
I'm absolutely beside myself with worry and panic :(

George was running about and has bashed into the table leg.... He's now holding his back leg slightly. He's putting weight on it when he's stationary but holding when he moved. He's happy for me to touch up to the toe, so I'm pretty sure it's that area......I'm really hoping it's just a sprain and not a dislocation or break :(
Called the emergency vet and I explained all that. He said that as he's eating, pooping and breathing fine, it would best to bring him in first thing because putting in the car for an hour now will be really stressful for him..

He wants me to bring him in first thing tomorrow morning which is stressing me out because I'm a teacher and will get shunned for missing school for my pet rabbit....but I just want to get him sorted.
God I'm a mess and I live alone!!!
I'm in tears because I'm so worried and stressed about it!

Oh poor George! Such a typical bunny thing to do. Mine have thrown themselves in to walls quite a few times and generally been fine. Truffle got a sprain whizzing down the stairs too fast once though. I hope it's nothing too bad.

Is he a good traveller? If so, I'd be tempted to whizz him over tonight just for pain relief if nothing else, though I can see what you vet is saying about the stress.

Totally understand how you feel - OH is never here when things happen with our lot, and it's horrible to have to deal with it on your own.
Keep posting.

Hey Gaby, sorry to hear George has hurt his foot. I don't really know what to suggest but just wanted to send some thoughts and hugs. Is there anyone you could call on to take him for you? I suppose that might be unlikely as you've just moved 😕 xx

Poor boy, hopefully it is a sprain but as said above an emergency visit might be better for piece of mind if nothing else. Sending lots of vibes that George improves quickly

Oh poor George! Such a typical bunny thing to do. Mine have thrown themselves in to walls quite a few times and generally been fine. Truffle got a sprain whizzing down the stairs too fast once though. I hope it's nothing too bad.

Is he a good traveller? If so, I'd be tempted to whizz him over tonight just for pain relief if nothing else, though I can see what you vet is saying about the stress.

Totally understand how you feel - OH is never here when things happen with our lot, and it's horrible to have to deal with it on your own.
Keep posting.

I really hope he's fine and I'm just overreacting :( I'm just working myself into such a state.

I've settled him down for bed and he's flopped over on his side. He is an ok traveller and I mentioned about getting pain relief and the vet said because it's so recent and its very stressful confining him for a length of time so quickly after it has happened, it could do more harm then good if he goes mental in the carrier. I've called the vet back and he said to give him time to relax after the stress of the accident and see how he is in an hour. Is this right?

EDIT: just seen you post clare....gunna take him in

I really hope he's fine and I'm just overreacting :( I'm just working myself into such a state.

I've settled him down for bed and he's flopped over on his side. He is an ok traveller and I mentioned about getting pain relief and the vet said because it's so recent and its very stressful confining him for a length of time so quickly after it has happened, it could do more harm then good if he goes mental in the carrier. I've called the vet back and he said to give him time to relax after the stress of the accident and see how he is in an hour. Is this right?

EDIT: just seen you post clare....gunna take him in

If you're not sure, then taking him in is a good bet I think especially since he travels okay - that way you have peace of mind. Let us know what the vet says - bedtime for me now but will check back in the morning.

bisc sprained his toe once. meant to be very painful the vet said, so if nothing else, i'd go and get some pain relief. maybe ask if you can collect some??

Sending lots of vibes for George, really hope he's ok. I think taking him is best as it does sound like your getting worked up too which I completely understand, I'm exactly the same :) it just shows how much we care

Thanks for asking.

He had metacam from the emergency vet to keep him comfortable overnight and I'm just waiting until 9 so I can take him in to be properly looked at and sorted. He seems fine in himself and is eating etc. he also trying put weight on it so hoping it's just a sprain or bruising.

I'm stressing out about work too because I've gotta make sure my class is covered etc and even though George's health is the most important thing, I'm still worried that I'm gunna get talked about because they see him as 'only a rabbit' and don't think it warrants time off. I know I shouldn't be bothered but I can't help it :(

Aw I'm glad he seems to be feeling ok.

I can understand how you feel about work. Luckily lots of the people in my team have kids and they have a LOT more time off for them than I ever do for the buns, so nobody ever says anything! IF it's really bothering you, could you just tell them something different?

Aw I'm glad he seems to be feeling ok.

I can understand how you feel about work. Luckily lots of the people in my team have kids and they have a LOT more time off for them than I ever do for the buns, so nobody ever says anything! IF it's really bothering you, could you just tell them something different?

I've told them now so just have to grin and bare it. The head teacher is fine with it, it's just the other staff but stuff them.

It annoys me that the vets don't open till 9 so I can't get an appointment till after then!they don't answer phones till then as well....

I've told them now so just have to grin and bare it. The head teacher is fine with it, it's just the other staff but stuff them.

It annoys me that the vets don't open till 9 so I can't get an appointment till after then!they don't answer phones till then as well....

I really want someone who thinks it would have been best to leave "only a rabbit" in pain to be teaching my child.... NOT. Tell them to shove it!

Hope your poor boy is ok. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got back from work so got a chance to post....

Vet checked him over and couldn't feel any obvious breaks. He gave him an anti inflammatory and painkiller injection whilst I was there to keep him comfortable. They've sent me home with loxicom (????) to give him as a painkiller once a day. Got an appointment on Thursday to reassess and if he's still holding it, give him a GA and x ray it. Vet didn't want to GA and x rays straight away because it is probable that its just soft tissue damage and he'd have a GA for no reason. Just gotta keep a close eye on him and if he gets any worse go back. He's gotta be on cage rest which will be KILLER for him because he never stays in just his cage :(

What do people think?

Hopefully he hasn't broken anything so you will have to try and keep him contained more and see how he goes. I have never used Loxicum but someone else will explain more about it.

I really want someone who thinks it would have been best to leave "only a rabbit" in pain to be teaching my child.... NOT. Tell them to shove it!

Hope your poor boy is ok. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol thanks, everyone was actually ok about it...well to my face anyways lol

Hopefully he hasn't broken anything so you will have to try and keep him contained more and see how he goes. I have never used Loxicum but someone else will explain more about it.

Thanks for the moral support :)

Back