• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I don't believe this! U/D post 13 (page 2)

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
To cut a long story short, I'd been to a funeral on Thurs/Fri (overnight stay as in the Midlands so a fair jaunt for us), got home on Friday night (about 9pm) to find that Thumper had colic. Gave her some meds as this is normal for her really. Didn't respond so at 11pm took her to see the emergency vet. Kept in overnight with her sister, Coco, for company. Got home from vets at 11.30pm with a stonking migraine and feeling quite ill. Dosed myself up too. Saturday morning Thumps was much better (so was I thankfully!) and came home and has been on meds ever since (she is so not a happy bunny when I catch her!).

This morning, Coco refused to come out into the garden for playtime and just lay down. We eventually got her out but she just lay there. Uh-oh! Same symptoms as Thumper. Dosed her up too (she had symptoms a few months ago and, like Thumper is mostly, recovered fine after a dose of Zantac and Metacam). Not today. Now have an appointment at 2.40 to take her in because her symptoms have got slightly worse in that she's now shaking a bit. Not too much, but she wasn't shaking at all this morning.

Will check her every 30 mins or so and if she gets worse I'll phone them back.

Luckily they're both insured but that's still £100 I've had to find in less than a week (insurance excess).

They're Rexes, which is basically a pedigree. Pedigree anything aren't very hardy.

*sighs

Last edited:
Poor Bunnies :cry: Before you gave medication were you certain there was no obstruction ? As Coco has apparently deteriorated already personally I'd head off to the Vet now. If she has obstructed time is crucial and can mean the difference between a 'good' and a 'bad' outcome

Sending vibes xx

Poor Bunnies :cry: Before you gave medication were you certain there was no obstruction ? As Coco has apparently deteriorated already personally I'd head off to the Vet now. If she has obstructed time is crucial and can mean the difference between a 'good' and a 'bad' outcome

Sending vibes xx

Thank you for replying.

I don't think there was any obstruction judging by the amount of poo in their litter trays; far too much for one bunny. Some were very small though but not sure which bun produced which droppings.

I spoke to the vet and basically she's on her own and snowed under so unless Coco deteriorates further there's nothing she can do until 2.40.

The vets I use are pretty much rabbit savvy but she thinks it may be an infection of some sort as they both had/have the same symptoms, or it could be they've eaten something in the garden.

We noticed some small red berries on the floor today from one of our neighbour's plants/trees; they got cut down and binned immediately but I think I'll take a piece to the vet in case they can identify it. But I'm not sure how many - if any - they've eaten. I'm at my wits' end. It's still costing me money I can ill afford but what can I do?

Hubby's just checked Coco and she's no worse. Just a little shiver now and then and she's also moved in the run, so she's not completely lethargic like Thumper was on Friday; she didn't move for over an hour.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying.

I don't think there was any obstruction judging by the amount of poo in their litter trays; far too much for one bunny. Some were very small though but not sure which bun produced which droppings.

I spoke to the vet and basically she's on her own and snowed under so unless Coco deteriorates further there's nothing she can do until 2.40.

The vets I use are pretty much rabbit savvy but she thinks it may be an infection of some sort as they both had/have the same symptoms, or it could be they've eaten something in the garden.

We noticed some small red berries on the floor today from one of our neighbour's plants/trees; they got cut down and binned immediately but I think I'll take a piece to the vet in case they can identify it. But I'm not sure how many - if any - they've eaten. I'm at my wits' end. It's still costing me money I can ill afford but what can I do?

Hubby's just checked Coco and she's no worse. Just a little shiver now and then and she's also moved in the run, so she's not completely lethargic like Thumper was on Friday; she didn't move for over an hour.

Can you bring her in and put a heat pad near her. She may not be able to regulate her body temperature and despite the fact that it is not cold today she could still be hypothermic. This would put significant strain on her internal organs.

Can you bring her in and put a heat pad near her. She may not be able to regulate her body temperature and despite the fact that it is not cold today she could still be hypothermic. This would put significant strain on her internal organs.

I've checked her ears and they're quite warm so I think her temp's okay. Hubby's checked her again while I washed my hair (bless him) and she hasn't got any worse. Going to catch them in about 10 mins or so ready for the vet. It's amazing how sprightly they suddenly become when faced with their travel carrier :lol:

Good luck at the vets. I know what you mean about sudden energy when the carrier comes out!

Thank you everyone :)

The vet phoned at about 5pm, as promised. Coco has been syringe fed and ate it "with gusto" apparently, lol.

She has had meds injected and has picked up a lot, even having a nibble of the hay, so all being well Rachel (vet) expects that she should be allowed home tomorrow. Glucose test came back okay.

Rachel thinks it's either; 1. something they've both eaten in the garden (although we are as vigilant as we can be sometimes they do grab mouthfuls of stuff they shouldn't); 2. It's a Rex thing i.e. as they're a pedigree :)roll:) they're not as hardy as cross-breeds so more susceptible (sp? sorry; it's late) to things that wouldn't affect non-pedigree bunnies; or 3. It's a bug that Thumper had and has kindly passed to Coco. It is odd that they both have identical symptoms at the same time.

The vet on-call tonight will keep an eye on them as well until they have to legally leave the premises (about midnight) but Rachel isn't unduly worried now, especially as Coco's more active and showing interest in food. I was very concerned earlier today as she wouldn't eat and believe me, for Coco that's not right :lol:!

Fingers crossed she (well, they!) can come home tomorrow. Rachel will phone me about 9.15 with an update.

Hi, sorry not been on yesterday - internet broke!

Bunny girls are home! :thumb:

Coco is much improved and basically back to normal but I have to keep dosing her up with: metacam, baytril, zantac and fibreplex, at various intervals throughout the day. She is not a happy bunny :lol: and spits some of it out but I think she swallows the majority, so that's okay. She's eating grass and hay and had a treat stick this morning so that's great!

I just have to try and catch them 3 times a day to administer their medicine, although today is Thumper's last day for meds.

When I picked them up yesterday, I asked how much the bill would have been. Thank goodness they are insured, that's all I can say. For the 2 of them, including 2 overnight stays (within a few days of each other), emergency vet and more meds than the local chemist, the bill came to ....

drum roll if you please ...

£680.31

:shock: :shock:

Glad to hear the girls are improving :)

Is it bad that I wasn't that shocked at the price? :oops: especially with the overnight stays, compared to our vets that isn't actually that bad! Shows how accustomed I have become towards big bills! I remember when Dee was in stasis, the bill just kept on growing. Thank God for insurance!

Back