• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone with a bunny with one ear?

jazxo

Mama Doe
My little Luna had his ear bitten off by his mum as a baby. Only a little stump and tiny hole remains. Up until now he's had no problems with it. This morning it was more prominent that usual and covered in a waxy substance. I cleaned it up and it looked alright but maybe a little bit swollen? I don't know if this a wax build up that can't get out of the tiny hole? Planning on taking him to the vets tomorrow morning but just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything like this before?

Must add - he's currently not bothered with it and is acting and eating completely normally.

Ahh, yes vets sounds a plan. If the hole is smaller than normal then it could well be the grunge can't get out easily. They usually have a root around with a back toe to clean so if he can't physically do that it might build up. I expect the vet will have a good look down it and check whether there is an infection that needs antibiotics.

Thanks for your reply Tamsin.

The problem with the vet having a look with an otoscope is that the hole is physically too small (only a couple of millimetres) to look in there. Just concerned about what the other options may be :(

I had one boy with hardly any ears, but it never caused him any problems so I can't help I'm afraid

If it's that small the vet may suggest a little operation to open it up a bit, so it can be cleaned/drain normally. There is probably a normal ear canal inside which is producing little hairs and wax etc. but if it's not got anyway to empty out then it risks getting an infection and it could be an ongoing problem. If they do, I would imagine they'd just remove a bit of the scar tissue blocking it so it would look more like the normal opening on the other side. It would be just like getting a wound stitched up, but they take away a little spare skin first.

I can't think of a bun with that particular circumstances before, but I've a feeling there have been one or two with normal ears that have had the hole widened after abscess issues to improve drainage.

If it's that small the vet may suggest a little operation to open it up a bit, so it can be cleaned/drain normally. There is probably a normal ear canal inside which is producing little hairs and wax etc. but if it's not got anyway to empty out then it risks getting an infection and it could be an ongoing problem. If they do, I would imagine they'd just remove a bit of the scar tissue blocking it so it would look more like the normal opening on the other side. It would be just like getting a wound stitched up, but they take away a little spare skin first.

I can't think of a bun with that particular circumstances before, but I've a feeling there have been one or two with normal ears that have had the hole widened after abscess issues to improve drainage.

This is interesting, as I have a rescue bun who (after I got him) I discovered was totally deaf. The vet looked in his ears, and said he's had so many repeated ear infections that the scar tissue had virtually closed his ear canal. Both ears.

She never suggested removing the scar tissue, or that there would be any further problems with his ears.

This is interesting, as I have a rescue bun who (after I got him) I discovered was totally deaf. The vet looked in his ears, and said he's had so many repeated ear infections that the scar tissue had virtually closed his ear canal. Both ears.

She never suggested removing the scar tissue, or that there would be any further problems with his ears.

I think that's slightly different in that it sounds like in your bun the scar tissue is inside the ear canal (the tube walls are thickened so the gap is narrower) so there wouldn't be anyway to remove it. Where as in Luna's case it sounds like where she had the injury as a baby the skin of her head or outer ear has healed over where the normal opening to the ear should be, like a cap on a smarties tube, but the tube itself if probably normal.

In the rabbits with normal ears that have abscesses/infection in their ears that's not treating well they sort of take a snip out of the tube, I think it's called an ear canal resection if you are googling, but it's making a slit down the side of the tube to shorten the length/make the top wider. It wouldn't be done as a preventative on a rabbit with scaring but no active problems though.

Dany has probably less than half her ears and she struggles to get hold of them with her paws to clean them. The vet just said I need to keep an eye on her for blockages/ear problems more carefully than other buns, so maybe buns with funny ears are more prone to it.

I hope Luna is okay xx

I think that's slightly different in that it sounds like in your bun the scar tissue is inside the ear canal (the tube walls are thickened so the gap is narrower) so there wouldn't be anyway to remove it. Where as in Luna's case it sounds like where she had the injury as a baby the skin of her head or outer ear has healed over where the normal opening to the ear should be, like a cap on a smarties tube, but the tube itself if probably normal.

In the rabbits with normal ears that have abscesses/infection in their ears that's not treating well they sort of take a snip out of the tube, I think it's called an ear canal resection if you are googling, but it's making a slit down the side of the tube to shorten the length/make the top wider. It wouldn't be done as a preventative on a rabbit with scaring but no active problems though.

Tamsin, thanks so much for all that. I'm relieved that I don't have to subject my lovely bun to this procedure. It sounds horribly scary, but probably isn't in reality. I really appreciate your input. :wave:

Back