• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is Panacur and how would you know you need it?

Suzi Wong

Mama Doe
There has been so much about Panacur lately. I have never used it and wouldn't even know if it was needed.
How do you know?

It is a Wormer in a group of drugs called Benzimidazoles. The generic name is 'Fenbendazole'. It is used to treat intestinal parasites and also as part of the treatment protocol of Encephalitizoon Cuniculi (EC)

So how would you know if they have intestinal parasites? Would it just be from having poos analysed or do rabbits show other signs?

So how would you know if they have intestinal parasites? Would it just be from having poos analysed or do rabbits show other signs?

EC can be detected in urine, poops and bloods but only usually shows when they are I'll or under great stress.....not worth doing just for sake of it because even if they are carriers it won't show :wave:

The vet will tell you if you need to use Panacur to treat E.C.

Some people suggest using Panacur a few times a year to prevent E.C. developing, but this is controversial, some vets recommend it, some don't. In this case you give Panacur for 9 days.

We used Panacur to treat EC in Oliver over Christmas (he had a 28 day course).
My vet now recommends that we treat all our bunnies every 4 months, as we now have EC 'in the colony'. This is a 9 day course and all rabbits are treated at the same time, with a deep clean of all housing and toys on day 7.

Back