• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Safe healing creams

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Can anyone suggest a safe healing cream I can get for my bunnies back?He has an injury to his back caused by him repeatedly biting it(for reasons the vet is investigating)and im looking for a safe cream which might soothe it and help it heal.

Also is there a safe nasty tasting liquid/cream I could apply to the area to (hopefully)stop him biting it?

Is it possible to put a photo of his back on here so people can relate to the problem if they have had similar? Didn't your Vet advise anything? Does your bunny live on his own?

I will try to post a photo of it.The cream the vet originally gave me Fuci-something made his back sting more so wasn't really helpful.
He has a bunny wife.Shes really good with him and helps to calm him when hes biting his back.

Sometimes topical treatments can make things a lot worse. Fuciderm has a steroid in it and so it often stings a lot when applied. So I would be reluctant to apply anything to it at this stage :? Also, creams can make the Rabbit bother the area more as they try to lick it all off. Thus increasing the inflammation.

Sometimes topical treatments can make things a lot worse. Fuciderm has a steroid in it and so it often stings a lot when applied. So I would be reluctant to apply anything to it at this stage :? Also, creams can make the Rabbit bother the area more as they try to lick it all off. Thus increasing the inflammation.

Ahh right,thankyou Jane.I will leave it and concentrate on improving the baby vest design:)

I don't know the whole story but we had a rabbit who self harmed and made some horrific sores on her side. It was a real battle to get them under control but we won in the end and all her fur grew back :D

We used vetgold cream which is available from vetuk.co.uk. It is a completely natural cream so can't do any harm. We then covered in soffban bandages followed by a converted baby grow. We changed her morning and night and during the day when we could watch her we uncovered her to get air from them.

I will see if I can find photos. Hope that helps :D

I don't know the whole story but we had a rabbit who self harmed and made some horrific sores on her side. It was a real battle to get them under control but we won in the end and all her fur grew back :D

We used vetgold cream which is available from vetuk.co.uk. It is a completely natural cream so can't do any harm. We then covered in soffban bandages followed by a converted baby grow. We changed her morning and night and during the day when we could watch her we uncovered her to get air from them.

I will see if I can find photos. Hope that helps :D

Thankyou very much for this advice and for the links on your second post.Because he destroyed my first attempt to cover him which was a baby vest which I sewed a folded bandage into where it covered his sores im doing a redesign.Hes a big strong chap though so im having to be quite crafty;)
It is horrible when they self harm-you feel so helpless and frustrated.You just never know what you will find when you go to see them and you worry about how unhappy they must be.

You could ask for phytobalm from the vets, we use it and it seems to help soothe wounds :thumb:

Back