• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lana's genital area is deformed.

Nic.

Warren Scout
When I took Lana for her vaccinations the vet said that she had some slight urine scolds, I was really surprised because I hadn't noticed myself & I keep her litter tray really clean. Apparently she's a bit deformed down there and wees against herself instead of directly into the tray. Poor thing :( Now that the bunnies have been separated and I can properly see what's going on, I'm pretty sure the fur that Luna was pulling out of Lana was the fur that Lana had been weeing on!! Does this mean she'll always attack her because she'll sense weakness or something? Or do you think if I can keep the area completely clean and normal looking, they'll be a chance of getting them back together? I had never noticed this problem before but the vet says it looks like something she was born with and is harmless apart from her getting herself messy in that little area.

Any suggestions for the best way to keep this area clean? She's pretty much impossible to handle so combing the fur is very hard, i've been able to cut off a bit of matted fur but then it'll just keep getting messy. I can't give her a bath, what else is there to do?

Also worried about flystrike. I'm going to get her some Rearguard. This is the stuff, right? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rearguard-f...0250715&sr=8-1&keywords=rearguard+for+rabbits

thanks!

I would suggest that keeping the area trimmed (maybe ask your vet nurses to clip her bum) and just use a damp wipe to keep her clean if necessary. Rabbits will groom each other, so maybe her friend is trying to clean her? They do tend to sit in wet spots. Deep hay in the litter area may help to drain away the wee so she sits in it less, along with an absorbent layer underneath.

Rearguard (that is the one you linked to) needs re-applying if the rabbit gets wet eg if you have to bathe her. It is one application per bottle, so could work out to be quite expensive but will definitely protect her from the effects of flystrike.

I use F10 weekly on one rabbit that attracts flies due to dental issues:
http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide---100ml-169-p.asp

It's much cheaper as you just use a few squirts at a time, and has anti-fly / maggot properties. It's also useful as an antiseptic wound treatment in the bunny first aid box. Just keep it away from cats.

I would suggest that keeping the area trimmed (maybe ask your vet nurses to clip her bum) and just use a damp wipe to keep her clean if necessary. Rabbits will groom each other, so maybe her friend is trying to clean her? They do tend to sit in wet spots. Deep hay in the litter area may help to drain away the wee so she sits in it less, along with an absorbent layer underneath.

Rearguard (that is the one you linked to) needs re-applying if the rabbit gets wet eg if you have to bathe her. It is one application per bottle, so could work out to be quite expensive but will definitely protect her from the effects of flystrike.

I use F10 weekly on one rabbit that attracts flies due to dental issues:
http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide---100ml-169-p.asp

It's much cheaper as you just use a few squirts at a time, and has anti-fly / maggot properties. It's also useful as an antiseptic wound treatment in the bunny first aid box. Just keep it away from cats.

Thankyou for the link, I definitely couldn't afford to keep reapplying rearguard if i need to wash her often. I'd also thought that perhaps the other rabbit was just trying to groom her but it started to look quite vicious. Poor things. Hopefully if I can sort it out myself though then Luna won't bother her anymore anyway.

If it's a small area you might find that just keeping the fur trimmed/shaved will mean she keeps it clean herself. I'd try that as a start and if it doesn't work you can move to cleaning her yourself.

If you just self grooms normally, I imagine the rearguard would last as long as advised on the pack - as all bunnies groom.

If it's a small area you might find that just keeping the fur trimmed/shaved will mean she keeps it clean herself. I'd try that as a start and if it doesn't work you can move to cleaning her yourself.

If you just self grooms normally, I imagine the rearguard would last as long as advised on the pack - as all bunnies groom.

That's a good point thanks. I'll clean and cut off the fur to start with and then see if she keeps it clean herself. If she does, I will get rearguard :)

I have a deformed bunny there too, Millie. One side isn't attached so she wees squint and wets herself. I have found leaving it alone to be the best course of action and just trimming hair as necessary. I keep an eye on it to make sure she isn't red and sore but she keeps it clean herself. I was worried that I would make the skin drier and more sensitive in the long run if I tried cleaning it and the vet agreed as long as there is no inflammation.

Back