• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling all RU disabled bunnies. Come share your stories and pictures.

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
I am Julie and am really old for my breed. I am over 11 and can have arthritis as well as some other problems due to me age. I can't walk no more but I can slide and move around. I get round the clock care and am happy. Most people know me story already so here are some new pictures. Come share yous stories and pictures.

Julie, in the fourth picture, you are waving to us.:wave::love:

Great idea to hear and see about disabled bunnies, how they cope and the determination to continue enjoying their lives.:thumb::love:

Julie, in the fourth picture, you are waving to us.:wave::love:

Great idea to hear and see about disabled bunnies, how they cope and the determination to continue enjoying their lives.:thumb::love:

:lol: yeah waving or playing peek a boo. She actually was washing that foot. It was going to be a great tounge picture but as I snapped the picture she decided that it was time to flick it dry.

Wonderful Rogger rabbit.

My bridge bunny, Dexter, was disabled. I wasn't on the forum then or I'd probably still have him with me :cry:

Anyway, my boy was paralysed in the hind legs due to EC (according to the vets/emergency vets I used to use who couldn't tell their bunny paw from their bunny tail :roll:) I only had him for four months when I was advised to have him pts :cry: but those 4 months were definitely worth it for the privilege of spending time with him.

On a daily basis, I would give him his medicine, bath him (to avoid urine burn as he was unable to avoid soiling himself), dry him (obviously) & generally be there to help him get to his food & water. I would also exercise his hind legs to avoid muscle wastage in the hope he would walk again. He did, and lived a happy three further months with us. They were still weak so he would fall over if he tried to run too fast and he couldn't sit up to wash himself or jump about, but he was loved & happy.

Then he began to deteriorate again and I woke up one Sunday morning to find him laid on his side, very shallowly breathing. I rushed him immediately off to the emergency vets who took one look at him, heard the history & said he was now completely paralysed and there was no guarantee they could do anything to cure him & so we should have him pts. So out of the blue & afraid he was suffering, I agreed. I wasn't there with him when he passed as they took him away from me and brought him back afterwards and I hate that I wasn't there with him. I'll never know if I did the right thing or not. Sometimes I think well he's not suffering any more and I did more for him than most people would (excepting RUers of course). Then I hear and see and read so many things about bunnies on here and EC and I wonder if it was really EC or something else and that if I'd been here then and if I'd had a rabbit savvy vet like I do now, I think I did the wrong thing and I shouldn't have given up on him so easily, I should have fought for him and maybe he'd still be here now. I'd have done anything for him to keep him safe and happy and healthy. I see Julie on here & Dolly on Facebook and that he could have adapted to a life like that if only I hadn't stolen it from him :cry:

My baby boy:

A video showing the first time he started walking again:

My bridge bunny, Dexter, was disabled. I wasn't on the forum then or I'd probably still have him with me :cry:

Anyway, my boy was paralysed in the hind legs due to EC (according to the vets/emergency vets I used to use who couldn't tell their bunny paw from their bunny tail :roll:) I only had him for four months when I was advised to have him pts :cry: but those 4 months were definitely worth it for the privilege of spending time with him.

On a daily basis, I would give him his medicine, bath him (to avoid urine burn as he was unable to avoid soiling himself), dry him (obviously) & generally be there to help him get to his food & water. I would also exercise his hind legs to avoid muscle wastage in the hope he would walk again. He did, and lived a happy three further months with us. They were still weak so he would fall over if he tried to run too fast and he couldn't sit up to wash himself or jump about, but he was loved & happy.

Then he began to deteriorate again and I woke up one Sunday morning to find him laid on his side, very shallowly breathing. I rushed him immediately off to the emergency vets who took one look at him, heard the history & said he was now completely paralysed and there was no guarantee they could do anything to cure him & so we should have him pts. So out of the blue & afraid he was suffering, I agreed. I wasn't there with him when he passed as they took him away from me and brought him back afterwards and I hate that I wasn't there with him. I'll never know if I did the right thing or not. Sometimes I think well he's not suffering any more and I did more for him than most people would (excepting RUers of course). Then I hear and see and read so many things about bunnies on here and EC and I wonder if it was really EC or something else and that if I'd been here then and if I'd had a rabbit savvy vet like I do now, I think I did the wrong thing and I shouldn't have given up on him so easily, I should have fought for him and maybe he'd still be here now. I'd have done anything for him to keep him safe and happy and healthy. I see Julie on here & Dolly on Facebook and that he could have adapted to a life like that if only I hadn't stolen it from him :cry:

My baby boy:

A video showing the first time he started walking again:

Awe....Dexter looks so sweet/adorable but so tiny and fragile. I can tell that he was really loved and that you gave him the best care and life possible. I think that it sounds like you made an extremely unselfish decision with his best interest at heart. His circumstances and illness was totally different than Julie's and if I was put in your position with Dexter even with what I know now about Julie I can't say that I would have made the decision to carry on either. it is so evident that he was loved and had a good life with you.

Back