• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Free flea and worm clinic at 'Your Vets'

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
So I took advantage today and took all 3 bunnies :thumb: in one carrier :roll:

I knew they had fleas as I had already seen them on Dumplin and have treatment but needed the vet to see other two and weigh them so I had the right dose

Dumplin is 2.9 kilo
Stu is 2.25kilo
Casserole is 3.5 kilo little fatty (vet says I have to put him on a diet) he needs to be closer to Dumplin's weight :lol:

How can I stop a free range grass eating garden rabbit eating :? Since Dumplin has been inside I have reduced Stu and Casseroles pellets accordingly and there are still some left in the dish in the morning some days, so,I top up with a smaller portion again.

Any ideas welcome :roll:

Also worming

The vet says as they are outdoor bunnies I should give them a dose of panacur as fleas can carry worms to rabbits :?

Are you feeding around the recommended amount of pellets to them, people used to say an eggcup full per bunny per day but I've seen some people saying an eggcup full per kilo of bunny weight also lately. I feed mine a small handful of pellets per bun per day. Does Casserole get plenty of exercise ? You could try reducing pellets/treats/carrots/fruit and increasing exercise if possible :thumb:

Hi Zoobec thanks for replying I had pretty much given up with this thread :?

He doesn't get carrot very often maybe once every three months so that's not too much, fruit apple and banana they get 1 fun size banana and I have a a bit but that again is probably the same and apple they get one segment when I have one which is once every two weeks ish ;) I don't eat that much fruit so they don't get it :oops:

I was feeding as the burgess excel bag which is 50g per day for a 2.3 kilo bun maybe slightly less each:thumb:

Exercise he has 24/7 access to the 2.4m x 1.2m run and also if I'm home early evening they have full garden access, when the new run is finished they will have 24/7 access to old run and new which is 8m x 1.5m :D he is always running and binkies everywhere :roll: I can't see how he is so heavy :roll: but when on the grass he is constantly eating the grass, clover and what ever else he can get his teeth on ;)

Hi Zoobec thanks for replying I had pretty much given up with this thread :?

He doesn't get carrot very often maybe once every three months so that's not too much, fruit apple and banana they get 1 fun size banana and I have a a bit but that again is probably the same and apple they get one segment when I have one which is once every two weeks ish ;) I don't eat that much fruit so they don't get it :oops:

I was feeding as the burgess excel bag which is 50g per day for a 2.3 kilo bun maybe slightly less each:thumb:

Exercise he has 24/7 access to the 2.4m x 1.2m run and also if I'm home early evening they have full garden access, when the new run is finished they will have 24/7 access to old run and new which is 8m x 1.5m :D he is always running and binkies everywhere :roll: I can't see how he is so heavy :roll: but when on the grass he is constantly eating the grass, clover and what ever else he can get his teeth on ;)

:wave: I found it in "unanswered threads" I probably used to feed as per the bag instructions too, but they always tell you way too much :roll: I wasn't sure how much my handfuls weigh, so I just weighed out a generous Boots rabbit sized portion which he gets once a day, and it was 25g. Boots is around 2kg. So you could reduce their pellets very gradually until they are getting around half what you give them now, that should encourage them to eat more hay/grass/forage etc :thumb:

I thought your buns had a lot of exercise so I didn't think you could do any more there :thumb:

The only other thing I thought is Casserole muscling in and eating more than his share of pellets too?

With feeding pellets I go by a handful per bun once a day and tweak it up/down as necessary but I usually find that keeps them more or less just right.

Yes, the culprit is most likely the pellets. With such a lovely varied fresh diet he shouldn't need many pellets at all. They are very concentrated calories so it doesn't take many to make them podgy :lol:

I go for about 10g per 1kg of bunny for pellets, when they are eating lots of fresh foods too. You might find as you reduce them their hay intake will go up so you might need to provide a bit more of that :)

Right phase 1 cut down on pellets :D

I fed them this morning at 9ish and have let them out Casserole completely ignored the pellets and raced straight outside to start on he grass :roll: so he isn't gorging on the pellets which is good I suppose ;) Stu sat and ate a few mouthfuls then decided that the grass was better too :D

I'm going to top up the hay box again before I go to work and see what's left when I get home at 12.30am :roll:

Hope it works for you :thumb: all mine Hoover up their pellets within about a minute of them being fed :shock::lol: the first time I left them with my pet sitter when I came back she had given them about 4 times too much because she said they always acted like they were starving hungry. I don't think the bunnies were too pleased when I got back :lol: they are so good at acting :thumb:

Back