• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

insurance

dbownes

Young Bun
Hi not sure if I've put this in the right thread but been looking at getting pet insurance but is it right that they don't cover vaccinations or castration?? How come?? And which insurance company do you all use please?

I use pet plan.
Animal insurance doesn't cover things like vaccines or neutering, just like car insurance doesn't cover an MOT, or new tyres.
Vaccinations and neutering are optional, yes you're rabbit benefits greatly from them, but you choose to have them done. You don't choose for your rabbit to get an illness beyond your control

No insurance company covers these for any sort of animal. Insurance usually covers the cost of illness and injury, and neutering and vaccines are neither of those. Neutering and vaccination are elective so they won't pay out.

I don't actually have my rabbits insured, though I do have savings just for them. I would do some research, comparing costs of different companies and what level of cover they provide.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Yeah, as tash said insurance don't cover those things because they're optional (although highly recommended). They also don't cover dental treatment, AFAIK.

I use helpucover for Alfie. Never had a problem with them and I would not be without it! :wave:

make sure you have a good read of the terms for each plan. i'm using petplan for one rabbit and pets at home insurance (meh) for the other, pets at home is half the price of the other.

most of them have the condition that you have a yearly health and dental check, so make sure you do that! a good idea anyway, insurance aside :)

I didn't insure a recent bunny, who sadly passed away due to severe stasis. i'm still paying off the £1400 bill :shock:

I use pet plan.
Animal insurance doesn't cover things like vaccines or neutering, just like car insurance doesn't cover an MOT, or new tyres.
Vaccinations and neutering are optional, yes you're rabbit benefits greatly from them, but you choose to have them done. You don't choose for your rabbit to get an illness beyond your control

:thumb: Very well put!

Insurance is a gamble, as some areas of the country (e.g. mine!!) are too expensive to insure under Pet Plan. Other companies can be good but you really have to study the small print ..

Back