• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just got back from the vets Tilly needs a dental :(

Kate1990

Young Bun
Hi everyone could do with a few vibes for Tilly
From my earlyer post from the other day Tilly had gone off her veg but was fine in herself and still munching pellets so I just tried changing her veg with something different for her ..
She ate broccoli which was good but last day or so she has had a wet chin and looks really sad :(

Took her to the vets she has an infection and a bit of blood so the vet gave her an injection with anti biotics in and some baytrill to bring home :( and said she needs a dental and will be under anasthetic
She's never had a dental before what shall I expect ? ? And how do I get her to take her baytrill the vet said she won't like it try putting a drop of Ribena mixed in it
Any info or vibes will be much appreciated :)

Hi. Pea had her first dental about a month ago and she's 7.5. She was absolutely fine afterwards and was back to munching her veg after only a couple of days. She had penicillin afterwards but my vet has taught me how to give injections. You could always ask to be taught as it's much easier than trying to get liquid antibiotics into a relectant bunny - especially one who isn't eating well. Lots of people have success with the Ribenna trick. Or else you can mix it with some baby food.

Hope Tilly will feel better soon and come through her dental well. Have you tried putting it on a little bit of Weetabix - the Baytril I mean.

Sending quick healing vibes and safe dental vibes for Tilly :love:

My Dumplin had his first dental about 5 weeks ago now and is on his 4th lot of anti-biotics as he had abscess under his chin.

He is almost back to normal with 7 days left of meds but it's been a long and stressful few weeks but we are getting there now :D

He didn't like the Baytril or Septrin we have had so it's been a fight every dose too 2 times a day :roll:

Hope Tilly likes the meds :D

Thankyou everyone for your vibes and information :) glad to hear the good end stories from dentals because it's pretty scary in the vets
The injection last night perked her up a bit and her chin isn't as wet so hopefully she will recover well on Wednesday :)
About the Ribena how do u do it I don't want to give her loads of it ha iv tired putting in in the syringe but she licks the Ribena out then stops ha ha
I'll definetly try weetabix too I'll try anything like you all said trying to syringe feed a rabbit is so difficult Xxx

The trick with the Ribena is once she starts licking keep squeezing but if like me it's 2.4ml of Baytril it's quite a lot :shock: what about trying to mix it in pull up the Baytril then some air then the Ribena and try to shake it see if that works ;)

I didn't try Ribena :roll: I tried fresh apple juice, concentrate apple juice baby food apple and banana pudding, tried mixing it in normal banana no joy :(

I have to hold Dumplin with his front paws slightly cradle him like a baby and let his bum rest on my leg sitting on the floor is best:shock:

He doesn't swallow just holds it in his mouth and let's it dribble out :roll: so then I have to let him go so he can have his anti-human wash :lol: then do it all again

Here is a pic of Bella Bear :oops: in position she is about same size and Dumplin but a much better patient :lol:

And the fleece jacket I have to wear whilst administering meds as he is getting rather Bitey as he is getting better :? But it's only temporary biting as he still comes to me for his treats straight after he has had his meds :roll:

After his dental Mottle (x) had his meds mixed with the pure fruit flavoured (banana and something) ellas kitchen baby food which comes in a sachet with a nozzle and is just the right consistency to mix with rabbit meds! He would lick it all up very happily.

He stayed indoors for a night after the op. but went out after that and was totally fine.

Best of luck to Tilly. Hope you get the meds in ok and that the op goes well for her.

Thankyou everyone to your advise means a lot people call me the crazy rabbit lady but no 1 understands how much they mean to us :)
I'm willing to try anything to get her to take it ... When the vet was looking in her mouth she was petrified my other half held her still and after she was finished she was shaking like A leaf :(
But all your advise makes me feel a lot better she's just getting lots of cuddles and attention :) xxx

Hi everyone iv picked Tilly up and brought her home :) the vet said it went well got to go back on Saturday for a check up :)
She's just layed in the kitchen at the min feeling a bit fragile but she has had a few pellets and pooped a little bit so she's on her way to getting better fingers crossed :)
Thankyou again for everyone's advise and vibes iv felt a lot better with everyone's help
:) xxx

CBE1BE20-4275-46B8-A5F0-26F53FE6603B_zpsbzvljra7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The vet said now she's had her 1st dental she will definitely need more :(
Does this mean she needs them every few months or do I just wait until she seems off it again ? I was that exited to get her home and she was well I forgot to ask xxx

Iv been looking through your post from the other day jane and saw the hay you suggested that's apparently nice ha ha because she will not touch hay and I know it's a big part of keeping her teeth on hood health I'm going to order some orchard grass try that and some special hay from zoo plus and hope she likes one of those xxx

The vet said now she's had her 1st dental she will definitely need more :(
Does this mean she needs them every few months or do I just wait until she seems off it again ? I was that exited to get her home and she was well I forgot to ask xxx

The time between Dentals varies from Rabbit to Rabbit. If you can get Tilly onto a mostly hay/grass diet with minimal pellet feed you may be able to extend the time between Dentals. I would arrange to get the Vet to monitor things every 6-8 weeks, unless of course she displays symptoms of oral discomfort before then. It is always better to have Dental treatment done before the Rabbit stops eating altogether. Things you can monitor at home are her weight, so record it a couple of times a week. Also monitor her poo output. Rabbits heading toward needing Dental treatment can have a reduced gut motility, so their poo will become smaller and darker and less in quantity. Also, it would be a good idea to have a feel along her jawline once a week to check for any lumps and bumps.

Iv been looking through your post from the other day jane and saw the hay you suggested that's apparently nice ha ha because she will not touch hay and I know it's a big part of keeping her teeth on hood health I'm going to order some orchard grass try that and some special hay from zoo plus and hope she likes one of those xxx

Try this too, it's very popular with all my Rabbits

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301187

That's brilliant thank you :) I'm going to but few different bags of hay hopefully she will love at least one of them fingers crossed her dentals won't be as often she's cost £150 so far since Monday she's worth every penny though but I'm going to ring pet plan tomorrow see if her insurance covers anything
But it will be a lot better for her to eat more hay and try and help her teeth herself
I'll keep a Closer eye on her definitely now I know what to look out for :)
I don't know what I would do without this forum :) xxx

Back