• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! new rabbit owner in a pickle!

I pick my mini lop up from the breeder on the 17th of september, after thinking about it for a while i decided to get 2 instead of 1 so they could keep each other company. So I've gone for a doe and a buck from the same family. They will be just over 8 weeks when i get them. I only have one rabbit hutch. It is two tired and has a separate run. I understand that i will need to keep them separate until they are both neutered and sprayed at about 6 months old. Is the correct? I can't afford 2 rabbit hutches, so would like to know if it is possible to close off the top and the bottom as they are connected via a slope. Until they are both neutered? The hutch is massive and there is plenty of room for one rabbit in just the one section of the hutch. I am worried that it will affect the bunnies happiness if they can hear and smell each other but can't get to each other. Also as they are from the same family what are the chances of them fighting when they are bonded after being neutered?

Worried first timer Tanya!!
Thanks in advance

I pick my mini lop up from the breeder on the 17th of september, after thinking about it for a while i decided to get 2 instead of 1 so they could keep each other company. So I've gone for a doe and a buck from the same family. They will be just over 8 weeks when i get them. I only have one rabbit hutch. It is two tired and has a separate run. I understand that i will need to keep them separate until they are both neutered and sprayed at about 6 months old. Is the correct? I can't afford 2 rabbit hutches, so would like to know if it is possible to close off the top and the bottom as they are connected via a slope. Until they are both neutered? The hutch is massive and there is plenty of room for one rabbit in just the one section of the hutch. I am worried that it will affect the bunnies happiness if they can hear and smell each other but can't get to each other. Also as they are from the same family what are the chances of them fighting when they are bonded after being neutered?

Worried first timer Tanya!!
Thanks in advance

Keeping them in separate parts of the hutch is OK IF it's big enough. It's a shame you didn't choose a bonded, already neutered and spayed, and vaccinated pair from a rescue. You wouldn't have all this expense and separation.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way and its by no means a criticism, but if you cannot afford two rabbit hutches can you afford the neutering? vaccinations? insurance? There is a LOT of costs involved...I remember reading somewhere that a rabbit is likely to cost thousands over its lifetime? Its lifetime is likely to be 10 years or so if looked after properly? Can you make that sort of commitment?

I had to get two enclosures when my boys were being kept separate. :wave:

Yes, you can remove the ramp and block the hole and use it as two hutches as long as both sections are enclosed (not the style where the bottom section is a run). Males can be neutered at 4 months and females 5-6. They should bond fine.

Keep in mind both rabbits will need plenty of exercise, so you might want to consider a second hand run so they get plenty of time out :)

If they are brother and sister it will be ok to keep them together until they are 3.1/2 months old, then the Vet will neuter the boy at around that time. Vets vary as to the exact age so ask your Vet about this. Then they can stay together and the girl will be old enough at 6 months to be spayed. She may need a couple of days recovering away from him as she won't be able to jump or run around for a few days. Make sure you have their dates of birth.

Back