• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runs on gravel?

Anyone ever done this? Have any problems? Ive seen one or two people with buns on gravel, but im not sure how long for or how permanent it was. I worry about their feet, and cleaning up poo and hay!!

Setups are really coming together. The 6x3 hutch (which im no longer putting in the aviary!) is complete and currently occupied by Marley and Dolly. We have also moved Bilbo and Isla to the back of the garden now too, which Im not 100% happy with, because its a bit of a botch job and doesn't look very good, but it does make my life easier. Marley and Dollys 7ft run, and Bilbo and Isla's pens are over by the house. Mum doesnt want these to stay there. The 7ft run will be gone when M&D go in the aviary, but the 2 pens will need a home. The only concrete area is in the lean to and the patio, but Mum wants them at the back, where its all gravel. Its not very practical, but its going to be a few years before we can pave it. I would put the runs on the lawn, but the dogs do their business there, so im not sure if its safe. Im sure I read something about someones bun getting really poorly after being on the grass that their dogs used...

Any ideas?

Paving slabs are much better. I have never used gravel but would imagine it isn't nice for your bunny's feet.

We have a large amount of gravel in our garden and Louie often chooses to flop on there. However, as he is freerange, he spends as little or more time on there as he chooses.

He does, however, have a good dig at it on occasion and it is very hard to get any poop up without having to chuck away a lot of the gravel as well.

When I couldn't persuade my OH to pave my run for me after we had meshed it etc I ended up putting mesh down to stop digging escapes, and then used playbark on top. It has to be playbark though so other stuff is treated with chemicals/has sharp edges. Or could you put the run on the grass, mesh under it and put new turf inside the run?

I cant really afford to spend any money on sorting this out. With it being a new house, we've an awful lot to pay for, and getting the sheds, and stuff sorted, has taken a massive chunk of what I had saved to do the buns and my bedroom. :/

If I cant think of anything, Mum is just going to have to put up with it for a while. Its not going to be forever, and once the junk is moved from the lean to, there will be more space, so she wont be climbing around bunny runs!

You could pick up a few paving slaps cheaply and just sit them on top of the gravel.

Look on freecycle/facebook/gumtree, you should be able to pick up free paving slabs you can loose lay. What's under the gravel? Just removing it to leave the bare ground or concrete would be a batter option, or add some top soil (again pick it up for free) to fill over it to nicer a nicer surface.

You might need to lift the gravel and mesh anyway, as gravel wont stop them digging out.

I've got a ton (possibly literally) of unwanted crazy paving that's been moved 3 or 4 times in storage: do you have transport?

Anyone ever done this? Have any problems? Ive seen one or two people with buns on gravel, but im not sure how long for or how permanent it was. I worry about their feet, and cleaning up poo and hay!!

Setups are really coming together. The 6x3 hutch (which im no longer putting in the aviary!) is complete and currently occupied by Marley and Dolly. We have also moved Bilbo and Isla to the back of the garden now too, which Im not 100% happy with, because its a bit of a botch job and doesn't look very good, but it does make my life easier. Marley and Dollys 7ft run, and Bilbo and Isla's pens are over by the house. Mum doesnt want these to stay there. The 7ft run will be gone when M&D go in the aviary, but the 2 pens will need a home. The only concrete area is in the lean to and the patio, but Mum wants them at the back, where its all gravel. Its not very practical, but its going to be a few years before we can pave it. I would put the runs on the lawn, but the dogs do their business there, so im not sure if its safe. Im sure I read something about someones bun getting really poorly after being on the grass that their dogs used...

Any ideas?

When I first saw the title I thought, ouch - poor feet! It would be a shame if their only running time was on gravel, but I do see there are other issues to be sorted here as well :)

Back