• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I 'spay' my doe?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hi all,
Rescued Flo a few weeks back, vets couldn't be sure of her age or her neutered status!
Would it be worth her having an ex-lap (opening her up) to see if she is neutered and spaying her if not?
Just want some thoughts!

Goodness, that's a difficult decision. Are there any blood tests etc that can be done to determine hormone status? If not, can I ask where you rescued her from? Is there any history with her? Most people don't neuter their bunnies unless they're clued up enough to realise the importance so chances are, she's not neutered.

She was abandoned in a box and brought into the vets where I work! So we have no history at all on her.

Hmm not sure about blood tests, they are always very expensive, even for baseline stuff so I wanted to avoid that.

Yes an ultrasound might be an idea, will have to suggest it to one of the vets!

Thanks!

Yeah that's what I was thinking, don't want her to have surgery unnecessarily though!
She's also territorial and digs a lot :/
Could you talk through the options with your vet?

I'd be pretty sure that she's not spayed, but I can understand you not wanting her to have surgery unnecessarily.

Could the vet shave her tummy to look for a scar? I know that works for cats!

Could you talk through the options with your vet?

I'd be pretty sure that she's not spayed, but I can understand you not wanting her to have surgery unnecessarily.

Yeah I think I will tomorrow, see what options he recommends (and how much it will cost!)

Could the vet shave her tummy to look for a scar? I know that works for cats!

Maybe they could! Sometimes, even with cats, it's really difficult to tell! If we shave her for a U/S I will have a look to see if we can see a scar.

I have had this problem with Ellie. I was told she was spayed when I rescued her but she has since developed a huge dewlap and has made several nests. When she had her teeth done last they shaved her stomach and took blood tests to confirm whether she had been spayed or not turns out that the previous owners lied as she is fully intact and we were very lucky not to end up with baby bunnies when she and Stephen met only a few days after his neuter. :roll: she's being spayed soon.

Lucky you didn't have any baby buns! :thumb:
Oh I didn't realise dewlap size increased with non-neutered rabbits. She does have one (see pic below!) but it's not huge. I'll keep an eye on her and see if there are any changes in the meantime!

I would discuss this with your vet.

If they feel an abdominal ultrasound would provide conclusive evidence of being spayed or not I would go with that. Otherwise if it were me, I would let the vet go ahead with surgery to spay or investigate. xx

I would discuss this with your vet.

If they feel an abdominal ultrasound would provide conclusive evidence of being spayed or not I would go with that. Otherwise if it were me, I would let the vet go ahead with surgery to spay or investigate. xx

I will speak to him tomorrow at work if we have a free moment. I think I might go for it otherwise, saves her being ill in the future.
Thank you for the advice, it's reassuring! :thumb:

Back