• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extreme malting concern :-(

leannev

New Kit
Hiya. I have a 2 year old continental giant bunny named Rocky.

He's a friendly, excited (sometimes) male but does enjoy chilling out a lot too!

Just this past week or so, he's been losing a lot of fur. Now if this was just clumps here and there I wouldn't really be bothered by it as he's quite fluffy and we're used to help losing throughout the seasons. However, it looks like he's had a set of clippers taken to him!

It looks like he has two coats.

Now we don't brush him as he can be a bit antsy when handling sometimes, as I'm sure other bunnies can be! So I tried to or the first time and SO much fur was coming off. And again. I don't know of this is normal or not so this is why I am here.

Some pics attached if anyone has experience with this, and has advice, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance.

4e877e8429c7abacbfcbbff7bcc0736d.jpg

6d157b1a053c5ef8f77f24518d683b81.jpg

ef8f05972e80294cdbb7498d4ad9b10d.jpg

Looks normal to me. :wave:

I have eight rabbits and some of the moults that they have are quite spectacular!

Thank you all, put my mind at rest. Vet said it sounded like mites but as he's never had them, I wouldn't know what to look for. Appreciated xx 👋

The give away for a moult is often they do it in a wave that moves down the body so you usually get a weird line where the colour/length is different.

If he's okay with touching you can pluck it gently, a lot of the fluff will be lose and just caught up in the other fur so comes out with a gentle pinching motion. It will be losest along the line between the new/old fur. As Jane's photos demonstrate it's amazing how much you can get out that way!

The give away for a moult is often they do it in a wave that moves down the body so you usually get a weird line where the colour/length is different.

If he's okay with touching you can pluck it gently, a lot of the fluff will be lose and just caught up in the other fur so comes out with a gentle pinching motion. It will be losest along the line between the new/old fur. As Jane's photos demonstrate it's amazing how much you can get out that way!

I have a bunny who is *extremely* sensitive to plucking even the odd tuft of hair out. I stoke her with a wet hand instead. Much less effective than combing or plucking hair out, but so much better for her :D

I have four bunnies 2 lion lop , 1 lion lop x angora, 1 netherland dwarf x rex. They are all moulting at the moment and when brushing or plucking them the pile of fur that comes out is nearly the size of the bunny :lol::lol:

Yoshi the lion lop seems to constantly have a tidal line as I call it half way down his body. :roll: but I am lucky as all mine don't mind being brushed. If yours don't like being brushed I would recommend the wet hand idea it works a treat ;)

Thanks everyone, he's a terror when I attempt at stroking it off etc. I will have to let it fall out but yes it gets everywhere and ahhcchhoooo! 😏

Back