• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies and Christmas

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I know, I know, it's very early to be thinking about Christmas but...

I got Millie and Maddie in January so I've not had a Christmas with them, so I wondered do people with indoor bunnies still have a Christmas tree?

I had a real one last year, but I imagine M&M would try and eat it and they'd probably happily eat a fake one too :roll:

I suppose I could put a puppy pen round it, but that doesn't seem very Christmassy!

3 out of my 4 have left a real tree alone. Hector had a little nibble the first year but, since then, hasn't bothered. The presents underneath it are far more interesting.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya. I only had Bunny last Christmas and not Buster so I don't know what he'll be like, but she defo tried to eat the tree. Apparently it's ok as long as no pesticides etc were used, but I erred in the side of caution and put the puppy panels round it anyway. The only people who thought it was a problem was my parents, and it's not their house!! 😀

Mine live upstairs and aren't allowed downstairs when there's a tree. The cats however knock it down and play with it so really the only difference keeping the rabbits away does is stop them eating the lights :lol:

3 out of my 4 have left a real tree alone. Hector had a little nibble the first year but, since then, hasn't bothered. The presents underneath it are far more interesting.....

Yes I think any presents will look quite tasty too :lol:

I don't really need a tree - I live alone and I won't be opening presents or having Christmas dinner here. I usually have a Christmas get together for my friends, but I'm not sure whether I'm doing that this year or not.

We had a 4ft tree in a pot, we put it on top of a blanket box so he couldn't reach it, which brought it up to normal tree height. After xmas we repotted it into a bigger pot and it's growing well, hope to use it again this year!

We had a 4ft tree in a pot, we put it on top of a blanket box so he couldn't reach it, which brought it up to normal tree height. After xmas we repotted it into a bigger pot and it's growing well, hope to use it again this year!

This is basically what we do too - 4ft tree on top of a coffee table next to the sofa. Ours is fake though as I can't stand the idea of millions of trees being cut down for no purpose every year! The buns climb up on the sofa arms to have a nibble at any decorations dangling within reach!

Presents can't be on the floor either, so we pile those up around the TV instead.

I always put mine on a small table :wave: this year will be Daisy and Digby's first Christmas inside though, so I'm sure it will be interesting!!

This is basically what we do too - 4ft tree on top of a coffee table next to the sofa. Ours is fake though as I can't stand the idea of millions of trees being cut down for no purpose every year! The buns climb up on the sofa arms to have a nibble at any decorations dangling within reach!

Presents can't be on the floor either, so we pile those up around the TV instead.

They wouldn't plant them unless they were going to cut them down so... Plus ours is live, not a cut one, and continues to live quite happily in a pot in our garden :thumb:

When I had house bunnies I had to put aviary panels (!) around the tree to keep them away from the wires.

I always put mine on a small table :wave: this year will be Daisy and Digby's first Christmas inside though, so I'm sure it will be interesting!!

This is what we do! Iggy unwrapped a couple of gifts one year and sat in the shredded mess! :lol: so a table is a must!

We have a plastic tree which iggy and perdy liked to eye up for nibbling but Betty and Walt ignore so all rabbits are different. They quite like tinsel if it's in reach so we have to be careful.

We have a house-bun and have had to adapt our christmas decorations.

Until we really got the hang of it, we went through an awful lot of tree lights! But think now, after 4 Christmas's with Rolo, we have it sorted.

We do have an artifical tree, but he has stripped the trunk and bottom branches, not eaten them, just likes to pull the foliage off.

We dont put lights at the bottom 18 inches and only hang metal baubles on the lower branches and we dont use tinsel, we use ribbon instead. We plug the lights into an extension that runs along the top of the sofa and is covered by a blanket, the socket it behind a wall unit so he cant get to it.

Rabbits love mince pies! So dont leave them on the hearth for Santa. We use fake holly so he cant pick up any berries that fall off, same with mistletoe. We do have a nativity that we have on the hearth and have to keep replacing the hay!

Christmas eve, when Santa has been, he is banished to the dining room till everything is opened and paper picked up.

He even has his own christmas dinner dish that he gets peelings from the big lunch in.

:)

xxx

We have a house-bun and have had to adapt our christmas decorations.

Until we really got the hang of it, we went through an awful lot of tree lights! But think now, after 4 Christmas's with Rolo, we have it sorted.

We do have an artifical tree, but he has stripped the trunk and bottom branches, not eaten them, just likes to pull the foliage off.

We dont put lights at the bottom 18 inches and only hang metal baubles on the lower branches and we dont use tinsel, we use ribbon instead. We plug the lights into an extension that runs along the top of the sofa and is covered by a blanket, the socket it behind a wall unit so he cant get to it.

Rabbits love mince pies! So dont leave them on the hearth for Santa. We use fake holly so he cant pick up any berries that fall off, same with mistletoe. We do have a nativity that we have on the hearth and have to keep replacing the hay!

Christmas eve, when Santa has been, he is banished to the dining room till everything is opened and paper picked up.

He even has his own christmas dinner dish that he gets peelings from the big lunch in.

:)

xxx

:lol::lol::lol:

Problem with my two is they aren't content just to destroy things, they eat them too! :roll:

I absolutely hate mince pies so I don't need to worry about that!

We had a little but real potted xmas tree up on a table out of reach last year. They showed no interest at all!

Here was our little tree :love:

1389755_1375388022710762_10071777_n.jpg

Last edited:
Is it sad to admit........I am so looking forward to Christmas and its not even October yet.

Love the pic of the tree.

x

Back