• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Bunnies potential Health Issues.

Mrs.Clooney

Young Bun
Before I explain can I please stress the need for sensible and informed responses as I appreciate that some peeps won't like what they hear... Which is why I am asking for sound advice.

Getting bunnies is not an impulse thing for me as I have been thinking about it long and hard including several years ago when I first posted on this forum. I popped into Pets At Home to get some supplies and they had loads of rabbits for sale including baby bunnies. I cuddled a few but was particularly taken with 2 males because of their relaxed and inquisitive natures. They were very friendly, alert and enquiring and quite happy to be squished for cuddles but I noticed very small lightly greenish blue tinged wet patch around the white nose of the one. When I pointed this out to the assistant, she checked the black baby which was also slightly moist in the same spot and she said that they probably had 'sniffles'. Being a bit uninformed and as I was interested to give these two a home (I know, I know but I look at it as rescuing because somebody will buy them) the assistant and I agreed that they both needed to be seen by a vet and I stressed that I was not willing to take on potentially sickly bunnies.

This store does not have a resident vet so they were immediately quarantined and I was told they would be taken to the vets the next day. I contacted the store yesterday to be told they were left at the vets (I imagine they have an arrangement with their vet practice) as there were several emergencies and they would be examined when time permitted. Fair enough.

Since all of this has transpired, I have been doing LOADS of research and found that 'sniffles' could be 'snuffles' and that once in the system, it remains there only to rear it's ugly head through out their lives. It may not be 'snuffles' as it could be other things and we won't know until they are examined. As it is a Sunday today, we probably won't know until tomorrow and I would not be able to take them home until they are fully treated anyway.

Anyway, feeling somewhat unsettled about these two, yesterday afternoon I contacted a breeder who is advertising some babies which look stunning in the photos and are ready for new homes in a weeks time. I chatted on the phone at length to her yesterday and she sounded very helpful and it sounds like she has an amazing set up for her rabbits at home including the runaround system. We are going to visit her this afternoon as she still has 3 babies to be reserved and we can meet mum and dad as well.

Dilemma is, that although I have not put any money down for the babies at PAH, I have a niggling feeling about them. I have no results yet and after speaking to two veterinary nurses, one at our vet practice who is experienced at keeping Bunnies and G pigs, they agree that the small wet noses may be nothing significant or the early stages of Pasturella/snuffles. Could just be being kept in a pen with other rabbits in an air conditioned shop. Don't know yet. They both advised me however, to insist on a full vet report if I were to take the shop bunnies on.

So, just getting this off my chest. I am the sort of person that does my research before taking on a project or committing to something so to speak. I am under no financial obligation to purchase the two PAH bunnies although they have been reserved for me, however I now fear for their future wether or not I do get them and yet have a feeling I am going to fall in love with the baby bunnies I get to squish this afternoon. I will report back on here.

So there it is...???

P@H are pretty renowned for selling sick rabbits, snuffles being the main disease they have. I would not buy the two buns as they may have long term health problems costing you thousands of pounds in the future.

Why are you wanting to buy buns from a breeder or pet shop? Is there a specific reason for this? If you just go to a rescue you will be able to get a pair of buns that have already been neutered, vaccinated and bonded and also had health checks done to make sure they are ok. Obviously you can't rule out all health problems but you will have a rescue to support you should you have any problems with the buns in the future. Buying from a breeder means you will not have this support, the rabbits will not be vaccinated or neutered and so will most likely fall out when they hit 4-5 months old. Also the best pairing is a neutered male and female, two of the same sex are more likely to fight, even if they are neutered. Buying rabbits is very risky and expensive.

Hiya and Welcome.

Personally I wouldnt touch the pets at home bunnies, as cute as they are.. The stories I have heard over the years about health issues and misinformation is scary...

Rather than going to breeder, Have you considered baby bunnies from a rescue? There are often unwanted litters there and the rescue will be more than honest about issues you may face..

Good luck with your search.. I am hopeless at health info, will leave that to someone more knowledgable!!:D

Fee x

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is not at all unusual for Baby Rabbits on sale in Pet Shops to have 'Snuffles'. If you have decided not to go down the Rescue Rabbit route to obtain your new Pets then I personally would opt for avoiding all Pet Shops and obtain your Pet(s) from a reputable breeder. I would expect to be able to see the set-up and also see the parents of the Baby/Babies I wanted to buy. I would ask the Breeder for details of the Baby's/Babies' parents and grand-parents. A responsible Breeder would keep records of this.

If you have concerns about the Pet Shop Rabbits being ill then I would contact the local council Environmental Health Department tomorrow. Ask to speak with someone involved with the issuing of Licences for Pet Shops to sell animals. Selling sick animals contravenes the terms of the Licence. Generally the RSPCA will not visit a store unless the issue has already been reported to the Council. So it is usually better to do that than to contact the RSPCA in the first instance xx

Health Issues Update

I did look at rescue bunnies locally but could not find baby Dutches.

My youngest daughter and I visited the breeder yesterday and reserved a pair of 8 week baby Dutch rabbits. They are brother and sister yellow and white. Also met and cuddled mum, dad and grandad. Grandma is with another breeder. The breeder was very informative about all of her bunnies and more than happy to answer questions and chat. She is clearly not breeding for the money and has the welfare of her bunnies at heart. That stood out for me. And I have to say that her rabbits are all very chilled out but curious and content.

The breeders set up included the runaround tunnel system leading to a large ( I think it was an 11x11x3) run which they were scurrying in and out of as it was such a lovely afternoon. They all seemed very content, curious and happy to be handle. No apparent health issues.

I have factored in neutering, spaying and vaccinations and my Hubby is now suffering from indigestion :lol:after I ordered a 6x2x2 double storey hutch with double bolts and with tunnel system leading to an 8x6.5x2 run which will be chicken wired underneath to keep the bunnies in and foxes out. A Lorra lorra munneh but I want these wabbits to be secure and happy.

Today I will hopefully get an update on the PAH rabbits and will be saddled with the task of turning them down but at least they hopefully will have seen a vet and be treated.

I look forward to introducing you to Miss Bumble and Biscuit.

Great that you've done your research and found the bunnies you want :D

The hutch and run sound great too but (you knew there'd be a but :D) chicken wire won't keep them safe unfortunately. Got to be galvanised mesh of at least 19g and holes as small as you can get.

looking forward to seeing pics of your buns :wave:

Great that you've done your research and found the bunnies you want :D

The hutch and run sound great too but (you knew there'd be a but :D) chicken wire won't keep them safe unfortunately. Got to be galvanised mesh of at least 19g and holes as small as you can get.

looking forward to seeing pics of your buns :wave:
Oh dear, I didn't know that. Can you explain why please? As the mesh will be flush with the ground surely the bunnies can't get through this? Also wouldn't this stop foxes as the would have to dig into the ground first to get under the frame and then would be faces with the wire?

Foxes can dig and get through chicken wire when they know there's food there. Have a look at this link of how determined they are.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-accommodation-(rabbits-are-fine-fortunately

As you can see the run is on hard standing which stops foxes digging in and bunnies tunnelling out although there are other methods which I'll try and find for you :wave:
Whilst doing some research over the weekend, I read that thread. Scary at just how determined they can be.

Mmmm and don't like the look of this thread either.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?125075-The-fox-came-back

Where would I get the type of mesh you mention and why must the holes be so tiny? Would this not hurts the buns feet? And stop then enjoying the grass?

The mesh is easily found on ebay and once down most people cover it with turf. And you're right it would hurt their feet. Complicated and costly bunny keeping isn't it :lol: But if done right in the beginning can save you money later.

The mesh is easily found on ebay and once down most people cover it with turf. And you're right it would hurt their feet. Complicated and costly bunny keeping isn't it :lol: But if done right in the beginning can save you money later.

Thank you Bunslave. Mesh it is then.

Further update... have just spoken to PAH to have it confirmed that both baby rabbits are now being treated for 'snuffles'. I explained that based on this, I was unable to take them on as I was after my research showed that snuffles cannot be cured.

Her reply, although polite, was, "That's fine, it is up to you, but snuffles isn't for life.':? Hope the poor babies find a good home :(.

Further update... have just spoken to PAH to have it confirmed that both baby rabbits are now being treated for 'snuffles'. I explained that based on this, I was unable to take them on as I was after my research showed that snuffles cannot be cured.

Her reply, although polite, was, "That's fine, it is up to you, but snuffles isn't for life.':? Hope the poor babies find a good home :(.

Snuffles generally is for life but it differs in severity, I believe. Unfortunately the buns will most likely end up in the adoption facility, I would also think that the rest of the buns that were with them will also have the snuffles.

Back