• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really severe diarrhoea post-spay

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
It's been a heck of a few days :shock:

The oldest of my foster buns Lizzie was spayed on Wednesday and all seemed normal. She was a bit quiet and had a tentative nibble on some food on Wednesday night so I gave her the evening dose of metacam and emperid but I wasn't too worried because that's pretty normal after a spay. Thursday morning, still a bit flat and only having a nibble so I gave her the doses again and was just making up some supreme recovery when she started to poop some very icky poos. I decided instead that I would take her back to the vets.

Saw a locum because my vet was having the morning off (outrageous behaviour ;)) and Lizzie was admitted for appropriate therapy. I rang at lunchtime when my normal vet was in and she was like OMG I have never seen anything like it as a post-op complication (she said she'd seen severe diarrhoea for other reasons, but not in these circumstances). She said Lizzie had developed really severe diarrhoea and that it was literally running out of her, and the nurses were spending all their time gently cleaning her down so it didn't get into her spay wound and refilling her with fluids, probiotic and syringe feeding. She started to firm up into squidgy splats during the afternoon and despite me continuing to syringe feed etc, overnight and this morning she was still pretty flat and gurgly.

This morning she was still squidgy pooing and reluctant to eat, so I took her back and she spent another day being intensively nursed. Still reluctant to eat for herself although poos definitely starting to re-form. Throughout the day she improved and got more feisty and her temperature got back up to normal. By the time I went to pick her up, Sam said she could feel some semblance of poo formation in the gut albeit still very gurgly and squishy. I got her home and immediately she started eating for herself and has even recently done something which might actually be described as poo. So I *think* we have started to turn a corner and Lizzie is now starting to improve. My vet has spoken to William about it, and current thinking is that she may have had an adverse reaction to the metacam :shock: An underlying cocci infection was also considered, but we don't think it's that as it started so very suddenly after the dose of meds and stopped again relatively quickly too.

It's all very worrying - not least because I have another 3 younger siblings to get spayed at some point so I'm worrying about whether it's anything congenital - but fingers crossed we are finally on the up for Lizzie at least. Lizzie has a possible home lined up too, so we need her to get better so I can arrange to visit and hopefully get her settled with a new husbun as soon as is sensible to do so!

Gosh, how worrying. I do hope lizzie continues on the path to recovery, and feels better very soon.
I've got a bun going in for a spay soon, I'll be on tenderhooks.

As soon as I read the first bit of your post I was going to say 'bad reaction to Metacam'. I have only seen it happen in one Rabbit once before. I dont know if the Vet might think giving some Cholestyramine (Questran) may be a good idea, just in case there is a clostidial over-load going on

I really hope that Lizzie will make a good recovery.

Thanks Jane :) Normal service has resumed this morning, we have (small, as expected) but normal looking poos, and she's finally getting her appetite back and eating for herself. Phew!

Assuming she continues to do well, the worry now is that she has another 5 siblings who need neutering - is it congenital and are any of the others likely to be the same?? Lizzie's brother was booked in for his op with William yesterday but Lou cancelled it until we knew what was going on with Lizzie. It's a worry.

I'm pleased to say that Lizzie is back to her old self today :D The diarrhoea has completely cleared up and she is now producing nice normal poos - slightly smaller than usual, but normal nonetheless. She's also been eating well for herself today. Phew!! Not something I'd wish to experience again, and neither I suspect would the poor vet care assistant who ended up completely covered in it!

My cat had this after he was neutered!they agreed it was a bad reaction to the metacam but omg I've never seen such horrendous diarrhoea in my life!

glad she's on the mend :)

Back