• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2nd litter 28 days later

Elyon

New Kit
My doe has had a litter of 5 just over three weeks ago, it was unexpected as I thought I had two females. The buck has been neutered and separated the day after the kits were born. I have read that they can get pregnant again straight away and am concerned she may be due another litter, next week will be four weeks if she is. She is lying on her side and panting a bit could this be a sign? If she does start to pull fur again and nest do I need to move the current litter or leave them. I could corner them off from the nest area so she can still get to them if that would be a good option, if any one can give advice just in case so I am prepared. She has been a brilliant mum with her first litter and all five have survived.

If she is pregnant again then she will likely build a second nest somewhere assuming she has the room, but it means she will likely stop feeding the first litter.

Kits can be fine with weaning at 4 weeks but they need to have started. At three weeks they should already be eating some of mums food.

The laying down could be exhaustion from feeding, it does take it out of them. It doesn't mean she is pregnant but she could well be.

The fact that she is 'panting a bit' could indicate pain but that pain may not be anything to do with a pregnancy. Is she eating and pooing as normal ?

The behaviour you describe could be due to her being ill- abdominal pain due to gut stasis.

Pooing

She is eating fine and pooing fine, her pellets are plentiful and as usual and her ceotropes are still there also. She seems happy and responsive when I go am near her.

She isn't panting excessively you can just see her chest going up and down when she is lying down

It would be nice for the first litter if they could stay with Mum for a bit longer, they do love their Mother and need her. I hope Mum isn't pregnant, she will have them in 3 days or so. Good luck. Lying down is normal :thumb:

Back