• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please?

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
Hi ladies and gents,

There is a woman on a Facebook selling page who needs to get rid of her two female rabbits because she's concerned about her dog being a danger to them. The dog has started chasing them quite aggressively and she's noticed that they have become very timid around the dog. One's a lionhead cross and one seems to be an actual lionhead (pics below).

They haven't been speyed but have always been kept in a playhouse outside, along with decent diet. They are around 2 years old (their vet assumes).

Do you think that it's a stupid idea to take on two un-speyed girls? I do but they are lovely and need a home :(

Heart ruling the head...

1- Do you have the finances to spay and vaccinate two more Rabbits and to meet any future Vet bills that may occur ?

2- Do you have the space to accommodate two more Rabbits ?

3- Would taking on two more Rabbits mean that you have to compromise on anything involving the Rabbits you already have ? Eg would the Rabbits you already have get less space to exercise ?

1- Do you have the finances to spay and vaccinate two more Rabbits and to meet any future Vet bills that may occur ?

Yes to spay and vaccinations, possibly no for vet bills.

2- Do you have the space to accommodate two more Rabbits ?

Yes we do.

3- Would taking on two more Rabbits mean that you have to compromise on anything involving the Rabbits you already have ? Eg would the Rabbits you already have get less space to exercise ?

Not really, they would share a space of about 10ft x 4ft during the night/until the afternoon and would then have free range of the front room.

I'm being silly I think, it's a bit drastic I think realistically...:oops:

Well the only negative response to Jane's questions was vet bills, so get insurance :thumb:

Honestly, I had a wobble whilst deciding whether to adopt Noah and Skye, but it was the best thing I ever did :D:love:

OMG they are lovely arent they? The white and black one looks sooo like Neo. I have eight rabbits now thanks to my heart.

Could you afford to spay them and offer vaccines and possible treatments for them? If so and if you have enough space then ... I would go for it. They will need to be separate from lovely lovely Neo for quite a bit but then you can have the scarey and stressful experience of bonding (ooo). I loved bonding my lot (despite the stress).

You will know the girls better by then which will help bond wise imo.

Good luck with whatever you decide :wave:

Well the only negative response to Jane's questions was vet bills, so get insurance :thumb:

Honestly, I had a wobble whilst deciding whether to adopt Noah and Skye, but it was the best thing I ever did :D:love:

OMG they are lovely arent they? The white and black one looks sooo like Neo. I have eight rabbits now thanks to my heart.

Could you afford to spay them and offer vaccines and possible treatments for them? If so and if you have enough space then ... I would go for it. They will need to be separate from lovely lovely Neo for quite a bit but then you can have the scarey and stressful experience of bonding (ooo). I loved bonding my lot (despite the stress).

You will know the girls better by then which will help bond wise imo.

Good luck with whatever you decide :wave:

Thanks both.

We are renting through family who are so unreasonable, they like rabbits but refuse to like Neo as we had got him without asking (even though they said as long as we don't get a dog they don't mind!!!!)

I think if we mentioned it to them they'd explode, say no, be disapproving...

I'm also concerned about ending up with a pair and a single, try to bond single with a single and end up with 4...

:(

Not really, they would share a space of about 10ft x 4ft during the night/until the afternoon and would then have free range of the front room.

I'm being silly I think, it's a bit drastic I think realistically...:oops:

Bringing in new Rabbits can also cause problems with referred aggression, this is very likely to be an issue with two entire Does. So you may need to keep the new Rabbits well away from the Rabbits you already have. At least until the Does were spayed.

Back