• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breed Question

Hazuki

New Kit
Hello,

I have a friend selling two baby rabbits, both 8 weeks old.

I've done a lot of research into costs, time etc and have everything I need now but I want to know more about the breed as they are a cross breed.

They are mini rex cross dwarf lop, and I can't find a whole lot of info out there. Does cross breeding introduce problems, or is there certain breeds not great for a beginner?

They will live in the house, which is now bunny proofed! Also have a very gentle and caring 5 year old Daughter, so there will be no roughage from her.

Thank you!

Hello

I assume that the Kits are from an 'accidental' mating ? Cross breeding is not always 'bad' but it is not something to be undertaken without adequate knowledge of the genetic history of both Buck and Doe. This probably would not happen if the mating was not planned or if the person just decided to mate their two Pets, knowing nothing of the genetic history of either.

Some cross breeds can be very robust and they can make wonderful pets. But sadly some can come with a lot of inherited health problems. For example Dwarf Lops can be prone to Dental Disease- so was this particular DL free of that, was there any history of Dental problems in his/her relatives ?

Rexes can be prone to sore hocks and heart disease. There is no guarantee that these problems would not occur in any off-spring that result from cross breeding.

Will the Rabbits be primarily your Pets ? Rabbits of any age/breed are not ideal Pets for very young children. In general Rabbits dont like being picked up and children often like to do this.

When you obtain baby Rabbits they may be all cuddly for the first few weeks. But once they hit puberty at about 12-16 weeks things can change rapidly and your cuddly little baby Bunnies can become bitey hormonal furballs !!

Had you thought of looking to home a pair of adult Rabbits ? If you adopted from a Rescue the Rabbits are likely to already be neutered and vaccinated. They would also have established personalities so you would be more sure of how they will fit in with your family.

There is a lot of information about Rabbit Care, Health etc here :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Last edited:
Jane raises some really good points :thumb:

It's tough to predict with cross breeds what they'll be like as you don't know which genes they'll get. Rexes can be prone to sore hocks and dwarf lops teeth problems, but name the breed and we could probably come up with a potential issue :lol: Doesn't mean they will get them. There is no reason those particular babies should have more problems than any other two random babies. Friendly and healthy parents are a good start. It's tough to predict personalities though, which is why Jane suggested adults.

Are they boys or girls? Either way they'd need neutering, but it can be trickier with youngsters as if the are boy/girl they'll need temporarily splitting until they are old enough to neuter. Male/male is slightly higher risk of fighting too.

I'd tend to suggest pre-neutered rabbits from a rescue for first time, as it cuts out some of the more difficult bits, but it's possible to go with babies, lots of people do :)

Back