• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Absolutely amazed.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
:shock: Fiver has had sore hocks for years now. We found it was due to arthritis in his spine forcing him to put pressure on his hocks. As many will know I built my buns an outdoor setup on grass to see if it would help Fiver's hocks.

I check Fiver's feet every week or so to make sure they don't get worse. Today I had a look and the sore hocks are almost gone! :shock: :shock: They are no longer red or sore-looking and the fur looks like it's even coming back.

If it is being on the grass that has helped (he has also been getting acupuncture to help the arthritis) then I feel like perhaps he'd be better outside permanently? :? Is it my flooring that has been making his hocks worse? I have tried everything from foam floors to vet bed. Clearly being on grass is the answer but he won't be able to go out during the winter. :( I'm now torn because I could never put him outside permanently but keeping him inside might be making his feet worse. :(

I'm so glad his feet are looking better, though. After trying EVERYTHING it's a relief to find something that has finally worked.

That's awesome! I suppose there'll be a bit of trial and error to determine if it's definitely the grass that has helped, although if not it would seem a very strange coincidence!

If it is the grass, could you maybe grow some in a dog bed or something that he could have inside and see if he would choose to sit in that? I always imagine they would be clever enough to make choices which are the most comfortable for them (I realise this might be giving them undue credit though knowing my lot!).

That's great news :thumb: fingers crossed if they are better before he comes back inside it might be possible to maintain them like that with all the vetbed/foam :thumb:

That's awesome! I suppose there'll be a bit of trial and error to determine if it's definitely the grass that has helped, although if not it would seem a very strange coincidence!

If it is the grass, could you maybe grow some in a dog bed or something that he could have inside and see if he would choose to sit in that? I always imagine they would be clever enough to make choices which are the most comfortable for them (I realise this might be giving them undue credit though knowing my lot!).

He chooses to sit on rough or hard surfaces, which I can't imagine is more comfortable than soft carpet/vet bed/towels. :roll:

I will see how he goes over winter. If they get worse then I can only think it is the flooring making it worse..which is going to be difficult to rectify since my room is laminated with a large, soft rug and vet beds all over. I also put towels down over the rug so that it's not abrasive as well as having a dog bed to sit in...which he never does. :roll:

Sometimes I find if I do nothing at all, the sore hocks disappear when the fur starts to grow over.

Good news for Fiver :wave:

I guess their feet are designed for grass, it must have the perfect amount of roughness, give and comfort.

So you need to make an indoor grass area? How about a 'tuff spot', it's a shallow tray made of tough plastic designed for kids about 2" deep and a meter square, perfect for growing an indoor lawn in. It will need watering regularly and you might need to returf now and then but it should work :)

That's great! It is nice when something you try works! I'm glad Fiver is feeling better! :thumb:

I guess their feet are designed for grass, it must have the perfect amount of roughness, give and comfort.

So you need to make an indoor grass area? How about a 'tuff spot', it's a shallow tray made of tough plastic designed for kids about 2" deep and a meter square, perfect for growing an indoor lawn in. It will need watering regularly and you might need to returf now and then but it should work :)

I think this is going to be my only option. Today his hocks are red and sore-looking again. :( It's clearly the flooring in my room that's making them worse. Fortunately they have never been open or bleeding or scabby, which is a good thing but ideally I want them completely healed up.

I've put them back out on the grass today so I will see what his hocks look like this evening when I bring them in. I feel awful that his hocks are sore because he's inside. :cry: I can't put the out permanently, though. I will be a complete mess, worrying about them constantly. I worry when they out just during the day. :roll: Also they wouldn't be able to be on grass overnight so that kind of defeats the object. :?

Tamsin, do you know where I can buy one? It would be nice to get something quite large so that all three can sit on it. The only thing I worry about is what if they just eat all the grass and then dig it all up? :?

Online amazon has some: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Spot-Tray-made/dp/B002HIY9JQ I think they originated as cement mixing trays so somewhere like wickes or screwfix might have them too. They are about £15.

If you use turf it should be relatively cheap to replace once a month or so if the grass doesn't survive the munching. Soil on it's own might work for hocks anyway, you'd have to try it :)

Online amazon has some: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Spot-Tray-made/dp/B002HIY9JQ I think they originated as cement mixing trays so somewhere like wickes or screwfix might have them too. They are about £15.

If you use turf it should be relatively cheap to replace once a month or so if the grass doesn't survive the munching. Soil on it's own might work for hocks anyway, you'd have to try it :)

Problem with soil is that it will be very messy. I don't so much mind but it's not very practical to have soil all over my room..it's already covered in hay constantly! :lol: I will have to pop to Wickes or something and see if they have any. I saw turf for a daft price at B&Q a few weeks ago and that would be much easier than growing my own.

Thanks for the link and the advice. :thumb: They had better use the damn thing when I get it sorted!

I'd expect turf would help reduce any mess as the grass roots tend to be packed quite tight so not much lose soil to throw around - I haven't tested though :lol:

I'd expect turf would help reduce any mess as the grass roots tend to be packed quite tight so not much lose soil to throw around - I haven't tested though :lol:

Yes..this is my theory. I think if I just put soil in he'd have no reason to sit in it. I've given them digging trays and all sorts..they are always ignored. :roll: I must admit, though, he spends most of his time sat on the grass when he's out in his hutch and run, so it must feel nice on his hocks. Hoping he makes the connection indoors and uses the turf to sit on rather than the laminate flooring. :roll:

What a fab idea!! I'm going to try one of these too I think my buns will love it as my yard is concrete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are free range in my room. I couldn't possibly cover the whole room in hay. :lol: Anyway they have their litter trays which are full of hay and he spends a lot of time in there. I had a good look at his hocks before I brought him in and one still looked a bit red whilst the other was a healthy pink colours, so the grass is DEFINITELY what is helping here.
I probably won't have time to get a tray tomorrow but I will see what Sunday brings and hopefully I'll have time to go and get one. Checking his hocks, I noticed his nails were long so he got his nails trimmed too. He wasn't happy. :lol: This should help him even more. It'd be lovely if the turf works and he can finally get his hocks sorted. If not I'm sure he'll enjoy eating the grass and making a mess in my room. :roll:

Is the turf you buy ever treated with pesticides does anybody know?

I would guess it depends on the supplier, you'd probably have to check with individual companies.

I'd love to see pics when you're set up.

Mandmcc - outdoors you might want to drill a couple of holes in the bottom so you don't end up with a paddling pool when it rains, but would be a great option for transforming concrete. Another option is to just layout a square with bricks, add an inch or so of soil and then turf that. It should take ok if you water while it settles in.

Back