• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you worm your rabbits?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
As the title says really ......... do you routinely worm your rabbits to prevent E Cuniculi?

Thanks

Jo

This thread might need popcorn :lol:

I don't routinely worm mine. I would only worm them if they were showing signs of parasites.

I do a one off 28 day course for a new intake. Thereafter I do not treat again unless clinical symptoms present or if specifically advised to by my Vet. Fenbendazole (Panacur etc) is not without potential side effects such as damage to the bone marrow and over-use of it can lead to the Rabbit developing a resistance to it.

I haven't so far. .I have panacur that the vet gave me as they recommend 2 a year but I've been unsure what to do.
I think Jacks Jane has just solved that uncertainty. .. Thank you. :)

OK thanks very much ...... I haven't ever done it but I'm possibly putting the bunnies into boarding whilst we're on holiday and they've requested I worm them beforehand!!

I don't routinely worm mine. I would only worm them if they were showing signs of parasites.

Same^ Leo has had two courses, once when he had EC and the second time was to rule it out as he lost lots of weight but teeth were fine etc. I'd be too worried them gaining a resistance like Jane said. If I wormed as a prevention/precaution and he got ill again but the panacur didn't have the same affect then I'd be incredibly peed off with myself.

I wormed when I bought the girls due to their unknown history. Never wormed Axl and Tarja before that. No signs of parasites, no need to worm!

OK thanks very much ...... I haven't ever done it but I'm possibly putting the bunnies into boarding whilst we're on holiday and they've requested I worm them beforehand!!

Same here, I give mine a course of Panacur before we board them whenever we go on holiday, the boarding place requests it. So once a year or so.

Yes a lot of boarders do seem to...but if the bunnies aren't coming into contact with other bunnies or areas where other bunnies have been (e.g. grass runs) during their stay then personally I don't think it is necessary. I can see that from a boarders point of view, it could reduce the risk of ec transmission through shared grass run areas, but personally I wouldn't allow my bunnies to be put in grass runs at a boarder because grass can't be disinfected and there's no guarantee that EC won't be transmitted through that route. Or coccidiosis, which panacur won't kill. Or pasteurella, etc etc.

Personally I don't worm/panacur my bunnies routinely, I would only do it if there was clinical need.

I board rabbits and I don't expect them to be routinely wormed.

I don't use Panacur on my rabbits unless there are clinical symptoms x

No, I don't worm and wouldn't worm for a boarders.

I think it's important to keep Panacur for when it's needed. :wave:

Yes a lot of boarders do seem to...but if the bunnies aren't coming into contact with other bunnies or areas where other bunnies have been (e.g. grass runs) during their stay then personally I don't think it is necessary. I can see that from a boarders point of view, it could reduce the risk of ec transmission through shared grass run areas, but personally I wouldn't allow my bunnies to be put in grass runs at a boarder because grass can't be disinfected and there's no guarantee that EC won't be transmitted through that route. Or coccidiosis, which panacur won't kill. Or pasteurella, etc etc.

Personally I don't worm/panacur my bunnies routinely, I would only do it if there was clinical need.

This is ridiculously bad worm management in this case.

I studied worm epidemiology and its now come to light that the idea of worming then moving to fresh grazing to ease a worm burden was found to have the opposite affect. All it did was put resistant worms into new pasture to infect the stock. If you worm, you're advised to leave in situ for a few weeks, then move, allowing the elements to kill the eggs that survive worming.

If boarders request buns are wormed prior to holidays, all they are doing is introducing resistant worms to the premises, making their lives incredibly difficult and infecting the other boarders buns with resistant parasites.

Unless boarders request buns were wormed more than several weeks prior to holidays, the request to worm is back to front and going to cause more problems than it alleviates. I probably actually wouldn't board at a boarder who made such a request for that reason!

Back