• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why do some rescues not reply?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i know they get very busy, but i'm disappointed that some of the rescues i emailed have still not replied. i've found a piggy to adopt now but i messaged some of these rescues about 3 weeks ago now. is this a long time to wait? or normal replying time for a rescue?

i also offered one place some free aviary panels. i emailed them about 6/7 weeks ago now and they replied quickly to say they could make use of them. but since i messaged back, they've not replied. i waited 5weeks and then messaged again, and still nothing. :?

could you maybe phone them, or if you don't feel able to phone get someone on your behalf

i don't need the rescues to get in touch now anyway, but it puts me off to be honest, and i would probably go straight to the ones that did reply if i ever need to adopt again.

and i might try giving the aviary panels to somewhere else now aswell :oops:

I do agree with you....I know they are busy but it is disheartening and puts you off.

Believe it or not we often have issues with a couple of rescues replying when we are trying to give them their Pledge a Pound donation, now you would think that they would want some funds, but nope, we literally have to chase them down.......I am not naming and shaming though. hehe :)

I do agree with you....I know they are busy but it is disheartening and puts you off.

Believe it or not we often have issues with a couple of rescues replying when we are trying to give them their Pledge a Pound donation, now you would think that they would want some funds, but nope, we literally have to chase them down.......I am not naming and shaming though. hehe :)

maybe they really are alot more busy than i realise then. i feel bad complaining because they do such an amazing job, but yes, it is disheartening.

i don't need the rescues to get in touch now anyway, but it puts me off to be honest, and i would probably go straight to the ones that did reply if i ever need to adopt again.

and i might try giving the aviary panels to somewhere else now aswell :oops:

I certainly don't blame you for feeling like this .. I would too :?

I know both rescues I've adopted from (Macclesfield RSPCA and BARC) were both good at replying. In a lot of cases they could be run by people who work full time and who do the rescue part as a volunteer, although if I hadn't had a reply in that length of time I think I would have chased it up
or gone elsewhere.

Defo ring. I get 130 odd emails a day. It's time consuming plus it's quicker to ring & actually discuss something.

I know both rescues I've adopted from (Macclesfield RSPCA and BARC) were both good at replying. In a lot of cases they could be run by people who work full time and who do the rescue part as a volunteer, although if I hadn't had a reply in that length of time I think I would have chased it up
or gone elsewhere.

barc replied quickly to me aswell. and so did rspca walsall. i've adopted from both before so went straight to them but they didn't have anypig suitable at that time.

Defo ring. I get 130 odd emails a day. It's time consuming plus it's quicker to ring & actually discuss something.

i didn't realise you got so many :shock: email is the only option for me. :wave:

eta: my o/h would ring but wouldn't know what to say or anything :roll::lol:

Last edited:
a question for any rescues - if someone's partner rang but didn't know much, and gave our email address to contact to 'speak' to me regarding details, would this be quicker and ok? :wave:

a question for any rescues - if someone's partner rang but didn't know much, and gave our email address to contact to 'speak' to me regarding details, would this be quicker and ok? :wave:

that's a good question to ask as I know you do struggle with phonecalls

that's a good question to ask as I know you do struggle with phonecalls

i wish i didn't. i get so angry at myself :evil: then when alot of places email back, they mention phoning and then i feel like a freak when i have to tell them i can't. i wonder if this makes me seem like a timewaster?? :?

eta: i'm all mad at myself now. i can't phone, i can't meet anyone, i can't go anywhere. really makes things hard work :evil: then randomly i can do it. not very often but i can. :? wish i could all the time, or even the majority of the time.

Last edited:
All rescues are different ... personally I prefer an initial email and them try to follow up with a phonecall .
I would be happy to speak to a partener instead as long as it was explained why . ...or to do everything via e mail even in an extreme case .

I do pride myself in replying quickly...but im very busy and I do sometimes forget:oops: ..you have to remember most rescues are rum by volunteers and not all have time free everyday (I had a panic when I read this in case id forgot to reply :oops: :shock: )
I would advise anyone sending e mails or leaving messages for rescues to follow up with another or a phone call if they don't get a reply in a couple of days .

Saying that though I had this problem myself a few years ago .. I was ringing around looking for a suitable doe for my housebun who was grieving , and some rescues never got in touch even after a couple of messages were left .

All rescues are different ... personally I prefer an initial email and them try to follow up with a phonecall .
I would be happy to speak to a partener instead as long as it was explained why . ...or to do everything via e mail even in an extreme case .

I do pride myself in replying quickly...but im very busy and I do sometimes forget:oops: ..you have to remember most rescues are rum by volunteers and not all have time free everyday (I had a panic when I read this in case id forgot to reply :oops: :shock: )
I would advise anyone sending e mails or leaving messages for rescues to follow up with another or a phone call if they don't get a reply in a couple of days .

Saying that though I had this problem myself a few years ago .. I was ringing around looking for a suitable doe for my housebun who was grieving , and some rescues never got in touch even after a couple of messages were left .

:lol: don't worry, you messaged me back quickly :love:

maybe in future i could email and then get o/h to ring a few days later if we haven't heard anything. or just pm you first again and hope you have a suitable pig/bun :D

I had this when I was looking for a friend for Barney. I emailed over 10 rescues and only 3 ever got back to me. I totally understand, I mean they are busy and it was a long email, but the bottom line was that I didn't go to those rescues because of it.

The irony is, I know a few people that have bought from breeders or pet shops because adopting from a rescue can be a very slow and clunky process.

And yes I know people are busy and yes I know people are unpaid volunteers, but even if a reply is late or just says to call instead, it's better than nothing.

I ended up going to a rescue that did answer their emails, even though they have over a hundred animals to look after. I traveled 5 hours to get to that rescue, and I did so because she made an effort and didn't make me feel like I was wasting her time.

I understand that looking after the animals is the priority, but in order to rehome them you have to look after the potential owners a bit too.

I had this when I was looking for a friend for Barney. I emailed over 10 rescues and only 3 ever got back to me. I totally understand, I mean they are busy and it was a long email, but the bottom line was that I didn't go to those rescues because of it.

The irony is, I know a few people that have bought from breeders or pet shops because adopting from a rescue can be a very slow and clunky process.

And yes I know people are busy and yes I know people are unpaid volunteers, but even if a reply is late or just says to call instead, it's better than nothing.

I ended up going to a rescue that did answer their emails, even though they have over a hundred animals to look after. I traveled 5 hours to get to that rescue, and I did so because she made an effort and didn't make me feel like I was wasting her time.

I understand that looking after the animals is the priority, but in order to rehome them you have to look after the potential owners a bit too.

Exactly this, if you don't respond to people you are never going to be able to rehome, it is a bit odd xx

glad it's not just me :oops: i just felt really disappointed. that's why i asked barc and rspca walsall because they were brilliant when i adopted from them both :love:

I found BARC Tessie and Daisy rabbits) to really good too and Cottontails (Autumn and Sunshine, belgian hares). Oh and Furry animal friends in Surrey (Harvest hamster). It helps give you confidence in a rescue when you get a response so I dont blame you feeling disappointed.

Last edited:
Back