• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit at Vets - need advice

Hey,

So I took my 1 year old Evie to the Vets this morning after she had been off all night. By off, I mean didn't move, didn't eat, didn't drink, poop etc, and her tummy on one side was VERY hard and quite large.

The vet did a Xray and found that there was excessive gas in the stomach, either that or excessive air, and that they were going to put her on an IV drip to try and clear it.

I'm kind of left in the dark as to what the chances are, and the bills are already creeping up to £300-£500. As a full-time student this is about all my savings gone.

They said that if the IV didn't work, they were going to suggest surgery - but I don't think I can do that to her.

Does anyone know have any past experiences with this

Thanks

Ignore this.

Evie went into surgery and passed away - was from bloat.

So sorry:(:cry: You gave her a chance by opting for surgery - it is high risk surgery, but worth giving them a chance, especially with one so young.

I've lost one and have one survive such surgery.

Last edited:
That is so sad, I am so sorry for you. These bunnies are such delicate little creatures. RIP little Evie.

Pandora

I'm so sorry. I didn't realise they operated for bloat.

Well done for beng a caring owner and giving her the best chance possible.

I'm so sorry. I didn't see this earlier.
I have also lost a rabbit to bloat - he didn't make it to surgery. It is such a serious condition and you gave her the best shot. I'm so sorry she didn't make it :(

I am so very sorry for your loss. You gave her the best chance possible.

I too lost a bunny last year to bloat. She came through the op but passed away later that night :cry:

Back