• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infection and weight loss

RT

Young Bun
We've got a 7 year old lion head lop cross. Back at the start of December he started to cut down on his pellets. He's done this before but this time he was eating only a few grams every few days.

His weight went down in slow stages and then in July it really increased and he went from 2kg in January to 1.65kg.

We had a blood test done. Panacur didn't work but within a week of finishing a course of antibiotics he had put on 100g and was noticeably better

He had a 6 day gap and then a check up at which point the vet gave him another 2 week course of antibiotics.
This was last Thursday and since then he has twice left pellets overnight when they were previously all going (the vet said we had to try and find a brand he would eat). Plus his eye was weepy this morning when it hasn't been for weeks. When I weighed him this morning he was 20g down on his best recent weight.

I have rebooked to see the vet but we still have a week left of the antibiotics. Is it worth trying a different antibiotic? How quickly should they work? I'm giving him oats and fruit and veg make no difference to his weight. Is there anything else we can try? Many thanks

Did the Vet say where the infection was and what antibiotic is he on now? Did the Vet check bunny's teeth as a weepy eye can be a sign of elongated tooth roots pressing on the tear duct? It does sound like it could be tooth related as he isn't eating as much as he normally would. Hope you can get his problem resolved soon.

Yes teeth/tooth root was my first thought too. Has he had his teeth thoroughly checked recently? At his age and with a weepy eye I would suspect the possibility of a tooth root infection, which is possibly causing pain as well and hence reluctance to eat. If I were you, I think I would discuss the possibility of a head x-ray to see what is going on with the teeth and tooth roots.

We've got a 7 year old lion head lop cross. Back at the start of December he started to cut down on his pellets. He's done this before but this time he was eating only a few grams every few days.

His weight went down in slow stages and then in July it really increased and he went from 2kg in January to 1.65kg.

We had a blood test done. Panacur didn't work but within a week of finishing a course of antibiotics he had put on 100g and was noticeably better

He had a 6 day gap and then a check up at which point the vet gave him another 2 week course of antibiotics.
This was last Thursday and since then he has twice left pellets overnight when they were previously all going (the vet said we had to try and find a brand he would eat). Plus his eye was weepy this morning when it hasn't been for weeks. When I weighed him this morning he was 20g down on his best recent weight.

I have rebooked to see the vet but we still have a week left of the antibiotics. Is it worth trying a different antibiotic? How quickly should they work? I'm giving him oats and fruit and veg make no difference to his weight. Is there anything else we can try? Many thanks

I would strongly suggest you find a vet who's confident to examine his teeth. It's not easy whilst he's awake, but he could be sedated and have a dental if it proves necessary ...

Thanks for the replies. He has had his teeth regularly checked and there hasn't been much change in recent years. One side is a bit long with a small spur but there are no signs of rubbing. I think his front teeth are finr.

He will eat veg and fruit for ever if you let him but he has always been picky with pellets and even when young he would go off them suddenly and I would have to rush out and buy another bag.

I can't remember the name of the AB at the mo but I think it begins with S and it smells of banana. I'll check later.

If there was a tooth root issue could anything be done?

Thanks

Back