• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

too early?

Mr Cookie

Banned
I am still devastated by my loss. However.. at the local big pet store there is a charity bun looking for a home.. hes very sweet.. affectionate after just a few minutes of approaching and running away again.. a bit bigger than my old dutch.. some sort of lionhead cross... the store is trying find a home for him on behalf of a charity.. hes very pretty just a damaged ear and cut on the nose hints at some previous calamity when he was with his previous owners.

I cannot replace the friend i lost but i ..

Its too early right?

There's no right time to get a new friend, and if you feel a bond with this bunny then it may give you a welcome positive diversion, and the new bunny will get a great new home :thumb:

I don't know. I always find looking after my other rabbits helps me not to miss a lost one so much. I'd go for it but remembering it is a commitment, rabbits need you to look after them and you must be sure, as anyone can be, that you can carry this through. Otherwise you could go on grieving for months and maybe not looking after yourself properly. It sounds like the rabbit would be going to a good home where it would be loved and cared for, not left at the bottom of someone's garden almost forgotten. I think also that you have learned a few things now and will look after a new rabbit very well. :)

I am still devastated by my loss. However.. at the local big pet store there is a charity bun looking for a home.. hes very sweet.. affectionate after just a few minutes of approaching and running away again.. a bit bigger than my old dutch.. some sort of lionhead cross... the store is trying find a home for him on behalf of a charity.. hes very pretty just a damaged ear and cut on the nose hints at some previous calamity when he was with his previous owners.

I cannot replace the friend i lost but i ..

Its too early right?

Go with your gut instinct. If you feel it's right, it doesn't matter what every other soul in the Universe thinks :)

When I lost my first bun I was heartbroken, we were close as can be and no bunny could ever replace him. Something told me though, as I looked at his empty hutch, that he'd want me to get a friend to take my mind off his passing. The very day he passed, 18th April four years ago, dad took me to look in different pet shops with not a huge intention of buying another rabbit. The last shop, I saw one lone white rabbit lazing under a stick archway. I knew at that moment that I wasnt going to leave without him. The staff let me hold him and he was good as gold. We went down the road for some dog food to think about it but sure enough we went back straight afterwards. I could only see him as a Peter, so that's what his name is! The cashier said that noone had wanted him for such a long time, and we even bought the archway he was lazing under :)
I never stopped missing Thumper, but even on the same day of his passing, getting Peter was a blessing. It is never "too early" xx

This bunny needs someone to look after him. If it's not too early for you then it certainly isn't too early for him... I think it could be this bunny's destiny to look after you too, he would give you a focus, a purpose... there are no rights and wrongs with the timings of these things. If you and this bunny could be good for each other then the 'how soon' doesn't really matter.

Sometimes things just happen and a bunny comes along that is meant to be with us.

I only waited a few weeks before I got Hollie after my Inca passed.

New bunnies never replace lost friends, but they make us smile again :)

Ill think about it.. i feel its too early.. im a mess. but something is compelling me to at least contemplate the idea.

Mr Cookie is probably asking you to remember him with joy..and to pass your love onto another bun.
I was once told that animals are only lent to us..and we are privileged to have them. But eventually the owner wants his/her animal back and then our friends have to go. But this leaves us with the space to care for another animal.
Our hearts are massive and have loads of room to love more than one bun.

If this Bun is calling to you I would say go for it and think of it as a tribute to your lost friend rather than a replacement.

Wishing you all the best in what ever you decide.

I got my girls a couple of weeks after losing Tarja, but I was driven by Axl's sad and lonely little face and how he snuggled with his toy sheep to provide him with a new wifebun!

Only you can know when the time is right

if it feels right, then go for it. you're not replacing the one who has passed. that could never happen. this will be a completely new relationship, and if it feels right then trust that. x

Im sitting beneath a tree in a park behind my house resting. I have cried about cookie bear today twice i think.. still distraught... but something is telling me to home merlin.. hes a bit bigger though than a dwarf... will i cope?

Ill see if hes still there at closing time and try and work out what is best. Any bunny is best with a lunatic like me.. full use of a house.. than end up in a hutch.

Just still struggling. Ive eaten maybe 5 bits of toast since cookie went.

Last edited:
Back