• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a trio or two pairs?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello,

I have recently rescued a doe called Flo after she was found in a box and was brought into the vets I work at. She is a cinnamon rabbit, loves attention, unsure if spayed or not.
I live with my parents, and my dad has two other rabbits, lopxlionheads called Odie and Zelda, who were rescued. They are siblings (we were told they were female and male, but think they might be both male). They used to live with another doe (their mum) but unfortunately she went missing :(

Flo has her own hutch and run, which I have pushed up against the other two's run so they can say hello. She was a bit grumpy at first but I think she was nervous! She now seems really relaxed and loves the attention the other two are giving her (She's such a minx!) They like to be up at the bars wanting to say hello. She just flops down and lays there for ages and runs around really fast too. Odie chased Zelda (which was weird as Zelda is usually dominant) but then they just ran around really fast after (not chasing).

Flo obviously loves attention, so I think I want to bond her.
My problem is, with who? I could:
1) Bond her with Odie and Zelda. I know it can be difficult but it's possible! Seeing as they have lived with a doe previously it might be easier. However, Flo is mine and the other two are my dad's. I'm 20 now and might move out in the next few years. I would not want to bond them and then separate them! I wouldn't want to leave Flo either though :(
2) Adopt a boyfriend for Flo (There is a cute male cinnamon at the local animal shelter! :love:). However, I would have to buy a new hutch and run as the current one is only big enough for just Flo. And we all know how expensive hutches and runs are!!!!

Any advice?

Thank you!

Victoria x

I think it would be better to find her a new friend but he would have to be neutered of course. Also it would be a good idea if your Dad found out what sex his rabbits are as if they are male and female they will be having babies and brother/sister matings aren't good. If they are 2 boys and not neutered they could start fighting. Even when neutered they could still fight. Hope this is of some help.

Odie and Zelda are definitely both neutered, as the shelter they came from neuters all their animals. Just don't know if they are both boys or a boy and girl! They are bonded and have never fought :)

Back