• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gas/stasis what to wait??

LilacBunbun

Warren Scout
I need your opinions on what to wait from the vet tomorrow morning...

Around 18-19 of June Pitsi's poop started being smaller & less than normal. Nothing outrageous, but definitely noticeable. On 21/6 he refused his morning pellets, so I called our vet, who told me to give him Infacolic (1ml every 2 hours x3 & then 1.5ml morning & night, 40mg stength simethicone) & Soldesanil (0.2ml morning & night Dexamethasone 1,52 mg/ml). By afternoon he was a happy bunny as always, playing,eating & being naughty. We continued the meds for 4 days & then stopped. During this time, he was drinking loads of water (around 800ml) each day, which my vet said that is absolutely normal when receiving dexa. After stopping the medication we was drinking around 500ml each day, more than what he used to, but the weather was really hot. We visited the vet & she said everything was fine.

Last Thursday, he refused his pellets again & I could see he was in pain, not a lot, but he was not himself. We called the vet & told to give the same medication until she returnes from vacation. He was fine in 3 hours as the last time, I continued the medication for 2 days, but as soon as we stopped, gas started again, so now he is on meds again.

While being on meds he is perfectly fine, alert, plays, eats & poops a lot. I know that gas/stasis is only a symptom of another cause, but the 1st time we thought is was because of the hot weather. Now the temperature is lower, so I start thinking other causes.
Also, what I have noticed is that before the 1st gas incident, one morning while I was cleaning his litter box I noticed a strong urine smel. That was for one day only, so I thought it was his hormones... Also, since the start of summer I have noticed that when he lays down, his head is trembling while breathing.

Pitsi is a 10month male bunny, he is free range, eats lots & lots of meadow hay, 2 tbsp of beaphar care+ pellets, dried herbage every day & chamomile tea every now and then. He also has pro-enteric paste & anima-strath granules for 10 days each month.

My questions are:

1)Could it be UTI?? If not what could it be in your opinion?
2)Has anyone else experienced this head trembling? Our vet said that it is normal, as he breathes heavily when he is hot, but I see that he does it after running even with the a/c on & on 23C... What could it be?
3)I plan to ask for blood test & x-rays. Is there anything else I should ask for?

I apologise for the enormous post, but as a 1st time bunny mom I'm very worried for him... Thank you in advance!!

The vet can do a test for UTI and treat accordingly if it proves to be that. The blood tests would also be useful. Why do you think he needs X-rays? If he is under sedation, it certainly would be worth a good check on the state of his teeth.

In the UK it's not usual to treat stasis with steroids. It used to happen in the 'old days' of rabbit medicine here, but getting to the root of why it keeps happening in such a young rabbit is really paramount.

Re the head trembling .. I'm not quite sure what you mean apart from the head bobbing that occurs when a rabbit is either hot or has just exerted himself because his heart is racing a bit and settling down... Is this something he never did before, or you never noticed it?

I hope the vet visit goes well and your vet gets on top of what's wrong with your little one.
Good luck.

I thought of asking for X-Rays to check if there is any problem with stones... I'm not sure I want to have him sedated, though. I'll see if the vet recommends it...:?

Yup, it's more of bobbing. The last time he did it at the vet's & she told me that is normal...Guess I'm paranoid...

Thank you very much:)

Back