• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit bites?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
My mum is always telling me that one day I WILL get bitten and when I do it will hurt.

I always sort of prepare myself when I'm picking a bunny up or if I'm clipping nails, its never happened yet. They are very tolerant rabbits and have never given me so much as a hint of wanting to bite me.

But I wonder, how much do you get bitten? Occasionally, every day? never? I like to think that rabbits are very peaceful but I hate the thought of ever being bitten.

Bit of a strange thread I know but I do wonder if I will look at my buns differently if I ever got bitten, I'm sure I wouldn't though.

i used to get bitten a lot, when tabby was a nasty bun. she's ok now. and, I'm a much more experienced bunny (non)handler, so I keep my hands out of the way. they'll get you if they want to, though, they're very, very fast.

I've never been bitten by any of my rabbits, but Tinkerbell used to bite my Husband before she was spayed!

Louie has never bitten anyone, he is so good natured and gentle :love:

Orla has just bitten my lip and it :evil::censored: hurt! She can lovely and affectionate and then turn suddenly to nip or bite. I get it from her about once a fortnight. I have 9 other rabbits and they are so sweet and good. They never bite or scratch or display bad temper. I am not sure what it is about Orla but she was dumped by previous owners so perhaps her behaviour played a part.

Biscuit has nipped a couple of times, but NEVER perform a full bite.

I've had Ginger hanging from my hand by just her mouth before, blood pouring from my hand. She was a feisty little madame, loved being cuddled, being pinned down for medication (depocillin injections into the neck/back, subcut fluids etc) was another story.

If a bunny bites you, you will know ALL about it.

I get bitten every day but it rarely draws blood, mainly because they bite through my clothes. :roll:

Fiver bit my leg last night whilst I was trying to stop him "escaping" from my bedroom. :lol: It hurt but he didn't draw blood because he bit through my PJ's lol. Shadowfax has only ever bitten me when she was in stasis and I was having to syringe feed..she HATED it. Xena used to bite me every morning when I got out of bed and she drew blood and scarred my ankles. :lol: She dosn't do this anymore, thank god, but she will bite if I hold her too long. :lol:

Orla has just bitten my lip and it :evil::censored: hurt! She can lovely and affectionate and then turn suddenly to nip or bite. I get it from her about once a fortnight. I have 9 other rabbits and they are so sweet and good. They never bite or scratch or display bad temper. I am not sure what it is about Orla but she was dumped by previous owners so perhaps her behaviour played a part.

I know I read the thread just now! Ouchie! :?

I have had buns since I was 10 and used to work in a rescue and have never been bitten by a bunny :shock: I have had the odd nip but they don't really hurt it's more that they make you jump! :lol: I probably worked with over one hundred buns at the rescue and there were only 3 that I was worried about being bitten by. One was very hormonal and settled right down after her spay, one was just grumpy :lol: and the other was traumatised :( she was raised as a meat rabbit and we think picked up by her ears :cry: she would go for you if you touched her ears :cry:

All of those rabbit made it perfectly clear that they wanted you out of their space before they bit though, I always think with buns they are not an aggressive animal, they bite out of fear or defensiveness (or sometimes just cos they are moody :lol:) I can't imagine any of my buns ever biting me (Loki nibbles if you leave fingers in front of his mouth but it doesn't hurt or break the skin).

I did however get bitten by a cat and yes it did hurt! :lol:

Biffy bit my finger accidentally once when I was feeding him a crunchie, he jumped up for it and got my finger instead.
Bramble will give you a little nip through your clothes if you're in her way though :lol: So with her it's quite often, as where ever you are, it's where she wants to be.

Only once *touchwood* - and totally my own fault too!

I was feeding the buns and had just had my hand in the dried herb pot, then the pellet pot, then put my hand in stroking Jessie, she sniffed my hand, then licked it, then went *chomp*, then quickly realised it wasn't tasty food :lol::roll:. It caught me at the edge of my nail and my finger was completely split open, blood everywhere and it hurt soo much!!

I now make sure my hands don't smell of food when I go and fuss them :lol:

I've been nipped through clothes in a "get out of my way" manner, and also been dug at by a frustrated rabbit, but never properly bitten.

I don't think it's in most little critters natures to bite. I'm repeatedly told I'll get bitten by my mice and rabbits but it never happens. Even my confrontational little mouse who thinks she can take me on has never bitten me, she just shakes her tail at me in a threatening manner :lol:

Slipper is evil :lol: I get bitten regularly by him with no warning. He bites at pellet time, bites if being groomed & bites if held for a certain amount of time. He really sinks his teeth in & draws blood too, it bruises, swells & is very painful for ages afterwards. I've been bitten by various animals over the years & rabbits are tied with hamsters for the worst bite! (And I've been hospitalised from a snake bite from a 12ft python!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been bitten by dogs, cats, horse, budgies, hamsters - and yes a rabbit too. But in all cases it was an animal reacting to something in it's environment or something I had done - and in no way did it affect how I felt towards the animal.

Lenny and Bug got into a massive fight when we were trying to bond them - and Lenny got my finger whilst I was trying to split them up - and yes it bloody hurt! It drew blood as well (I take asprin everyday so any cuts bleed for ages afterwards so I was trying to sort out 2 stroppy buns with a finger dripping blood everywhere :lol::lol::lol:). And no - it has not made my wary of him, he's still my little Eeyore of a bun and I still adore him. Just next time I bond 2 buns like that I will wear better protection I think :lol:

I cannot see any one of our buns biting us deliberately but they may do if they get very annoyed and I haven't taken notice of any warning signs. And it would be my own fault.:thumb:

I only get bitten when Charlies throwing a tantrum. He doesn't try to bite me, but he takes his anger out on bedding/clothes... And of course I'm under the clothes. He nipped my knee yesterday, but he doesn't even leave a mark never mind actually hurt.
Milly attacks me every time I go near her and she's still never bitten me either, I just get boxed and scratched.

I was bitten a couple of years ago. Hard. Plenty of blood but didn't feel anything till later, then it hurt :evil:. Took about a week to heal too.

Any other time is just little nips to let me know I'm doing something wrong. Bub nipped me a few times, once hard enough to bruise. I started crying then :oops:. Was shocked my best buddy would do such a thing :lol:

Maddie bit my mum once, Maddie had broke a nail and I was trying to stop it bleeding while mum was holding her and we'd had to hold her much longer than normal so she bit my mum. I think she bit just hard enough to mean she would be put back on the floor as she didn't draw blood or anything.

My Hopscotch will give me a nip on the ankle if I have ignored his nudges and not fussed or fed him immediately! He also climbs on the back of the settee to groom our hair and can get carried away! He has never properly bitten though. We only picked Jessica up yesterday so time will tell with her :)

Biffy bit my finger accidentally once when I was feeding him a crunchie, he jumped up for it and got my finger instead.
Bramble will give you a little nip through your clothes if you're in her way though :lol: So with her it's quite often, as where ever you are, it's where she wants to be.

Are we talking Fenugreek Crunchies? If so, I would recommend the wearing oven gloves or possibly the leather gauntlets worn by industrial welders :shock: And if you are trying to give a fenugreek crunchie to more than one rabbit at a time then consider deploying a riot shield!

The only time I've ever been nipped has been by over-enthusiastic bunnies after a chrunchy and it hurts enough to make me very cautious but not enough to stop me giving the odd chrunchie as a treat.

Sarah 1991, I really don't think you'll look at your buns any differently should you get bitten you'll just be a bit more cautious in whatever situation led to the bite.

Last edited:
I've only had 'oi pay attention to me!' Or 'get out of my way stoopid mummeh' nips. They have never once bitten me properly. If they ever do I will have done something very wrong or more likely there is something very wrong with them.

Back