• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Telling "identical" bunnies apart?

serenity087

Young Bun
My two ladies are dutch. At first they both look black but then you realise Mitsy is kinda roany.

Now I know them, I know which one is which in a glance, but both my OH and my housemate jokes about not telling them apart!

So... those with "identical" buns, how easy do you find telling them apart?

Stu and Dumplin are both up eared REW's from the back they are identical big floofy white bums but from the front Stu has a stubbier nose and smaller ears than Dumplin:lol:

I get Betty and Mary mixed up now again when they're running wild round the garden. :D

IMAG0059.jpg

Apricot and Ginger are virtually identical, but Apricot has a bit of black on her face :thumb:

All of my accidental litter; the diddly buns all had twins save for puffy who looked like his mum. Since they were all male and female twins we spilt them up so at the start there wasn't any confusion.

Now after an attempt to rebond them into a group Artemis decided shed rather be with the boys and her twin Apollo. Since joining the boys it's easy to see the differences up close but hard when they are far away.

Artie looks more like a nethie which very round ears and a dip above her nose. Apollo looks like a muscle bun who works out at the gym :lol: different fur tones too.

I find that when the twins are living together they look more alike than when they are apart.

My two are brothers and almost completely identical. My OH can never tell them apart. The only real difference is that Eric's ears are usually upright and Ernie has one lop ear and one helicopter ear. I say "usually" as sometimes Eric's ears do lop a bit and then it's practically impossible to tell them apart. :roll:

I can only tell my girls apart by their personality now they've gotten older. I used to be able to tell them apart by their fur even though nobody else could but now it's impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine have identical colouring but one is lopped eared the other isn't, so most of the time it's really obvious. The only trouble I have is when they nudge at my ankles when I'm sitting on the sofa and I have only a split second to work out which bun it is.

When Kizzy nudges, it means "move your feet NOW!!" If I don't instantly move she'll dig at my ankle to make me move. Yes, it is entirely possible for Kizzy to go around my feet or even hop over them but for Kizzy it's the principle of the thing - all humans must adapt to their bunny's wants and needs and failure to do so will incur her wroth :shock:
When Bob nudges I have to look down and ask him if he'd like me to move, if he nudges again I have to move my foot slowly out of his way. If there isn't a second nudge from Bob then I must keep perfectly still until Bob moved away. A sudden movement will make Bob jump as if he's about to be kicked. :cry:

Like this, eventually.

But they ended up with a collective name (The Dopeys), because we struggled to tell them apart. Their nature was very similar, just Dopey 2 weighed slightly less, was a little bit more grumpy and a little more vocal. Other than that, they were completely identical in all behaviours and every way. Once Dopey 2 started needing medication (she's the one with the blue nose), I had to colour her to ensure I dosed the right rabbit.

We are now left with just Dopey 1 and it's amazed me how she has thrived without her other half, but I think that's down to having Lighters.

I had some almost identical bunnies. At first I was going by their very slightly different markings, then that all changed, as they moulted. :D Then I was going by their different personalities.

Then one of them was in stasis and I had this hideous moment where I didn't know which it was. :oops: Because I was going by their personalities, the fact that one of them came running forward for their food and the other meant I didn't have the other bunny to really compare personalities against. I rang up the vets saying the rabbit's name that I thought it was, and it wasn't till she was on the vet table being examined that I became very sure that I was right. :oops: Never had any trouble after that though - I guess you just get to know them far better over time.

I cannot tell my belgian hare brothers apart. sometimes their coats differ but then they alter again with next moult. when they came the breeder had written A in one ear and B in ear of other one in perminent marker and I can fully see why now! wish she'd tattooed it in lol If I'd thought about it properly I would have asked the vet to do a little notch in one buns ear when they were neutered as i can see it could be a problem if one of them was unwell monitering although I suppose there is always the marker pen if I need to.

Illy and Chinook are sisters and are both black mini lops. Most people can't tell them apart and they are basically identical.

Illy is slightly bigger and has a slightly flatter head, whilst Chinook is smaller and has a much more flat/stunted face. Their personalities are very different too—Chinook wants to be everywhere with everyone, whilst Illy is a lady with an air of mystery :lol:

Elmo however, is a big, incredibly fluffy white and caramel bunny, so there's no worries with him :lol::lol:

My bunnies both have one-up-one-down ears but with the opposite ear up, so that's one way and that's how I usually advise guests etc to tell them apart. They do actually look quite different once you get to know them but it takes some time!

My bunnies both have one-up-one-down ears but with the opposite ear up, so that's one way and that's how I usually advise guests etc to tell them apart. They do actually look quite different once you get to know them but it takes some time!

That's so funny and cute :love:

My two BEW mini lops are sisters but have different personalities, but when I first got them I had to mark one of their ears with pen till I got to know them x

Back