• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice please !

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks, will try and make this short, also am very upset so sorry if grammar is bad.
In a nut shell, my next door neighbours have had an infestation of mice in their house. They didn't know until they had water coming through the downstairs ceilings and the boiler went off. After getting inworkmen, it transpires that mice have been in the attic and bitten through plastic pipes and and wires.
They have had a rodent man who has put down poison and traps. That was last week. I came home Friday afternoon, and as I got out of the car, they called and asked if I could go in for a few minutes. They had been on the internet and discovered that rabbits and chickens attract mice, so without actually saying it outright, guess who they were blaming in a roundabout way ? I assured them that my buns are in a secure shed, with access to an enclosed adjoined run. My shed is lined with an extra layer of timber, and the floor is lino. No food is left out, I clean every day etc etc- I am a responsible owner !
We live near fields and open countryside, which has been flooded of late-probably why the mice have moved ! Loads of people in this area have had mice long before I moved in, and the neighbours know that. I have only been here 6 months, them 7 years, and only had the problem now !
They have since apologised and said they are not blaming me, I even offered to get rid of buns, and they said no.
I am so upset by this, can't sleep, can't eat, don't want to go out. I feel like I am being watched when I go out to buns. A lot of this is probably in my head, I have very low esteem anyway, and this has put me right back. Don't know what to do, am seriously thinking of re homing my beloved buns, but not many options for them where I live. I couldn't give them to a rescue for re homing I would always worry that they aren't been looked after properly, however careful their adoption criteria is.
Any words of advise please ? Am I being paranoid ? Having them indoors is not an option, OH won't tolerate it.

Rabbits which are kept clean do not attract mice. This is the normal downer people have about rabbits, they just associate them with mice and rats. Please try not to let it get you down, your rabbits sound like they have a very good home.

You've said yourself that you live near fields and open countryside that has flooded, which probably caused the mice to move. I'd be surprised if it was solely the rabbits responsible for the mice arriving. To rehome them on the off-chance they may be causing the mice would be a great shame, as you clearly love them.

I wouldn't worry too much, honestly. Just make you sure you don't leave food lying around etc, and hope the problem clears up soon :)

Oh no! Please don't let this get you down :( Mice can just sometimes be a fact of life, even in built up areas let alone the country side. I have chickens and rabbits and have never had any problems since having them - both in rural and built up areas so I seriously doubt they are to blame! Your neighbours just need to do their bit in mouse proofing their home and keeping it clean and tidy and you can continue to give your rabbits the excellent care you seem to be already doing. I really can't believe the nerve of your neighbours in saying that to you in the first place! Please don't rehome your buns because of this, loving homes are hard to come by and they already have one! Chin up :)

I can understand you feeling awkward etc, but how does it benefit anyone rehoming the rabbits? Even your neighbours would probably feel terrible if you chose to do that.

Mice in houses are a fact of life. I've had it happen to me when I was living in a town - it's not even just in the countryside. They need to be sorting out the entry points into their home, not looking around at what their neighbours are doing.

I can understand you feeling awkward etc, but how does it benefit anyone rehoming the rabbits? Even your neighbours would probably feel terrible if you chose to do that.

Mice in houses are a fact of life. I've had it happen to me when I was living in a town - it's not even just in the countryside. They need to be sorting out the entry points into their home, not looking around at what their neighbours are doing.

Exactly this.

As every one else has said, don't even consider re-homing your rabbits because of your neighbours ignorance.

We had mice in our garage years ago before we had the rabbits. They ate Ohs fishing bait.

Have your neighbours got decking? That can attract rodents if its raised and they (neighbours not rodents) dine outside and drop bits of food.

Since we've had the rabbits I never throw food to the birds onto the lawn, its the bird table or feeders.

U/D

Hi folks, will try and make this short, also am very upset so sorry if grammar is bad.
In a nut shell, my next door neighbours have had an infestation of mice in their house. They didn't know until they had water coming through the downstairs ceilings and the boiler went off. After getting inworkmen, it transpires that mice have been in the attic and bitten through plastic pipes and and wires.
They have had a rodent man who has put down poison and traps. That was last week. I came home Friday afternoon, and as I got out of the car, they called and asked if I could go in for a few minutes. They had been on the internet and discovered that rabbits and chickens attract mice, so without actually saying it outright, guess who they were blaming in a roundabout way ? I assured them that my buns are in a secure shed, with access to an enclosed adjoined run. My shed is lined with an extra layer of timber, and the floor is lino. No food is left out, I clean every day etc etc- I am a responsible owner !
We live near fields and open countryside, which has been flooded of late-probably why the mice have moved ! Loads of people in this area have had mice long before I moved in, and the neighbours know that. I have only been here 6 months, them 7 years, and only had the problem now !
They have since apologised and said they are not blaming me, I even offered to get rid of buns, and they said no.
I am so upset by this, can't sleep, can't eat, don't want to go out. I feel like I am being watched when I go out to buns. A lot of this is probably in my head, I have very low esteem anyway, and this has put me right back. Don't know what to do, am seriously thinking of re homing my beloved buns, but not many options for them where I live. I couldn't give them to a rescue for re homing I would always worry that they aren't been looked after properly, however careful their adoption criteria is.
Any words of advise please ? Am I being paranoid ? Having them indoors is not an option, OH won't tolerate it.

Many thanks for the replies and advise you gave me folks, when I was feeling very low, I just didn't feel like coming on. I'm glad to say that I still have my beloved buns, and they are not going anywhere ! Neighbours very quiet, but polite-no mention of mice. Anyway, have a lot of catching up to do on RU.
Love to everyone and everybun

Anne x

Great news! I'm sure once the neighbours have solved the problem you'll have no more hassle.

I can definitely understand that horrible feeling of them watching and judging. It's just a shame they said anything to you at all really.

Back