• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any advice please - poorly bunny :'(

WelshGirl

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Wondered if other bunny mums as dads could advise? My little bunny is sick - won't eat anything at all, even greens or treats - and she loves her pellets - gobbles the whole lot usually!!! She was fine yesterday, ate pellets in the morning with her greens and ate her greens last night. They've both been eating their hay, and she took a treat around 10pm. When I fed them this morning she didn't come running over to greet me :( would not come out from under the chicken coop (they live in the garage in two chicken coops joined together with fencing for a big play area in the middle. She wouldn't eat anything.

Called the vet and took her straight in, and she's been given painkilling, gut stimulant and antibiotic injections - can anyone advise on when these might take effect?

I did a huge clean and hoover of the entire area and cleaned their litter trays before putting her back in with Merlin. I've kept them separated by putting her in one chicken coop so I can see whether she poops :/ have given her a bowl of greens and some pellets and a carrot biscuit on top. Got home from the vet an hour or so ago and she still won't eat anything. I do have a follow up appt tomorrow afternoon :( xx

Oh no, wee soul... What did they say the issue is...?

I would be very very worried if bun still didnt eat anything... Were you given recovery food or anything to syringe feed with?

Oh no, wee soul... What did they say the issue is...?

I would be very very worried if bun still didnt eat anything... Were you given recovery food or anything to syringe feed with?

Thank you for your reply x The vet couldn't really say what was wrong - she checked her teeth and felt her tummy, asked if she had been to the toilet. I don't know when she last went as they were due their 3 day clean this morning :( we have been home a few hours now and she's hiding under the lid to the cat litter tray :(

Wasn't given anything to syringe feed with, no. I've only had to do that once with one of my first bunnies - he passed away at only 16 weeks old from GI stasis :'( xx

How long do you think I should wait before calling the vet again? x

I would personally wait now until tomorrow's appointment. (This is my opinion and if you feel she needs to go back to the Vet then I would take her.) What was the treat she had the night before? It may have upset her? Perhaps by the morning she will be well enough to eat something, if not you have the appointment booked so the Vet can do another examination. Hope bunny is feeling better soon.

I would personally wait now until tomorrow's appointment. (This is my opinion and if you feel she needs to go back to the Vet then I would take her.) What was the treat she had the night before? It may have upset her? Perhaps by the morning she will be well enough to eat something, if not you have the appointment booked so the Vet can do another examination. Hope bunny is feeling better soon.

Thanks x

She had a baked carrot biscuit - they have those all the time so it shouldn't have upset her :( they have one every other day. I just saw her drinking a tiny bit of water so that's good, but still no food :(

I'll keep checking every hour but I don't want to disturb her too much. Thanks for your advice. I'll play it by ear but as you say I do have tomorrow's appt x

Did the vet do any sort of checking for a blockage? Assuming there was no blockage, have you been syringe feeding her? It's vital, assuming there's no blockage, that her gut keeps moving as if it stops (as opposed to just being slow) then that is very serious. Syringe feeding helps keep it moving, and the mix itself is very good for bunnies.

ETA - Sorry, just seen you've not been given anything. I would not leave my rabbit not eating anything, whether it be by syringe or of her own choice, until tomorrow IMO. Is there any way you could go back to the vets and pick up some Critical Care?

I think that perhaps you need to bring her inside where you can keep an eye on her. You could syringe some water into her but be careful not to tip her head back as you don't want the water to go down the wrong way. It is important that she eats and passed it through. Right now you don't know if she has a blockage, I would have wanted my vet to confirm this at least. I am in Wales too,I have had to travel to Gloucester though to find a rabbit savvy vet!

Hi everyone,

Wondered if other bunny mums as dads could advise? My little bunny is sick - won't eat anything at all, even greens or treats - and she loves her pellets - gobbles the whole lot usually!!! She was fine yesterday, ate pellets in the morning with her greens and ate her greens last night. They've both been eating their hay, and she took a treat around 10pm. When I fed them this morning she didn't come running over to greet me :( would not come out from under the chicken coop (they live in the garage in two chicken coops joined together with fencing for a big play area in the middle. She wouldn't eat anything.

Called the vet and took her straight in, and she's been given painkilling, gut stimulant and antibiotic injections - can anyone advise on when these might take effect?

I did a huge clean and hoover of the entire area and cleaned their litter trays before putting her back in with Merlin. I've kept them separated by putting her in one chicken coop so I can see whether she poops :/ have given her a bowl of greens and some pellets and a carrot biscuit on top. Got home from the vet an hour or so ago and she still won't eat anything. I do have a follow up appt tomorrow afternoon :( xx

I'm rather surprised your vet didn't check for a blockage or even keep her in to see how she does on the medication. They can also administer fluids if she were to get dehydrated. I would give a call and ask if the vet thinks you should syringe feed her food or water.

Do you think your vet is rabbit savvy?? I do realise an out of hours vet isn't always going to be the best choice when a bun has problems.

Good luck ..

I'm rather surprised your vet didn't check for a blockage or even keep her in to see how she does on the medication. They can also administer fluids if she were to get dehydrated. I would give a call and ask if the vet thinks you should syringe feed her food or water.

Do you think your vet is rabbit savvy?? I do realise an out of hours vet isn't always going to be the best choice when a bun has problems.

Good luck ..

Liquid is vital in this situation and is usually given subcutaneously by the vet. Ask why you were not given it.

Liquid is vital in this situation and is usually given subcutaneously by the vet. Ask why you were not given it.

Thanks everyone for your replies, you've all been great. I agree, I don't think this vet is rabbit savvy!!! :/ the main vet I usually see is, but she wasn't there today.

Just been to check on her again now and she has eaten her greens, a treat and some pellets :) :) :) :) going to check for poops! I will keep my vet appt to make sure tho.

I will def ask for something if this happens again - I would have syringe fed her water tonight if she hadn't eaten anything but as you say she would have needed food. I was planning on taking her to an out of hours if she hasn't eaten by this evening x

Thanks for all your help everyone x let's hope she eats more when I take it out now x

I think that perhaps you need to bring her inside where you can keep an eye on her. You could syringe some water into her but be careful not to tip her head back as you don't want the water to go down the wrong way. It is important that she eats and passed it through. Right now you don't know if she has a blockage, I would have wanted my vet to confirm this at least. I am in Wales too,I have had to travel to Gloucester though to find a rabbit savvy vet!

Where in Wales are you? Gloucester seems a very long way yes!!! 😳

Sending vibes for your bunny. Hope she continues to eat and is soon back to normal. It is such a worry when they stop eating!

Sending vibes for your bunny. Hope she continues to eat and is soon back to normal. It is such a worry when they stop eating!

Thanks so much all xx appreciate your comments so much x she's eaten quite a bit now - just waiting for poops! Straight to vet in the morning tho! Xx

Back