• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing my rabbit to anaesthetic

RIP

New Kit
Yesterday I lost my rabbit to anaesthetic, it was his third operation on his teeth, his second one was exactly a week ago(Thursday) but the vet didn't finish as he started waking up and the vet didn't want to risk it, so the vet asked me to book an appointment one week later on Thursday, I did. They were operating on his back teeth and had put him on a different anaesthetic because apparently the other one wasn't good for him. We don't have much money but we have spent so much trying to keep our rabbit alive, last week we gave the vets £180 this week we were going to pay £70 more but he was gone, our rabbit was gone, my mum told me and I cried and cried and cried, he was a beautiful white lionhead dwarf and he lived in the house, in our kitchen, on a little bed, he done his business outside in the hutch and was very clever and playful, he really brightened up our lives and I had no idea that I could take him to the vets thinking he was in safe hands and then I never see him alive again..I haven't stopped crying all day...and seeing his little rabbit body dead yesterday killed me so much. I don't know how to cope with pet loss, my heart is just hurting. If it wasn't the vets he would still be alive, I think he was too small for anaesthetic twice in a week but the vets were the ones who insisted we'd book an appointment...:cry:

This is a video of him a few Christmases ago...:cry:

Hello

I am so sorry for your tragic loss :cry: With all GAs there is an element of risk, sadly a 100% risk free anaesthetic does not exist. I doubt the Vet would have suggested a second procedure after just a week unless it was absolutely essential. Maybe you or your Mum could ask to discuss exactly what happened with the Vet. Whilst nothing can bring your little Rabbit back, it may help a little bit to have your questions answered. I know that it is of no consolation to you, but your Rabbit will not have suffered, he simply went to sleep.

I am so very sorry - you bunny was a sweetheart :cry:

As Jacks Jane has said - GA is not 100% risk free and the vet wouldn't have put him under if it wasn't absolutely necessary to do his teeth. You should feel proud that you've done all you can to keep your bun healthy and happy - and he went to the bridge in the best way possible - peacefully in his sleep.

In time you'll remember all the good things and the pain will lessen...and I hope in time you give another bun a wonderful home.

Binky free little bun - and bigs to you RIP.

You poor thing, you must miss him so much, he looks adorable. Like Jane said you could speak to your vet and try to understand what happened, it may help a little. Sorry for your loss.

Pandora x

Oh I'm so sorry, what an awful shame :( As others have said, it sounds like your bunny needed the op finishing at that time even though it was close to the other anaesthetic. Also, as the whole reason for needing the second one was because of problems with the anaesthetic of the first, I'd say it's likely that your gorgeous little one had some kind of underlying condition which no-one was aware of, and which only showed itself under anaesthetic. It does happen sometimes, unfortunately.

Big hugs, I hope you can take some lovely memories of your gorgeous little one to hold in your heart in the future x x

So very sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing the video of your gorgeous fluff ball, so beautiful.

Binky free at the bridge little one xx

Back