• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing Mr Higgins for his first winter

HelenSB

Warren Scout
Hi all. Ive posted my introduction previously and was very grateful for the replies I recieved.
I'm after a bit of advice about how to cope with the winter as I've only been a rabbit owner since March.

Mr Higgins is in a 6ft double Ryedale hutch and ive just ordered a 7ft x 3ft covered end run for him. I also have a winter thermal cover with changable front covers on order.

At the moment Mr H comes into the house for a few hours every day. I understand when the winter weather sets in this won't be a very good idea. His hutch is made from very thick wood and I have also purchased one of the snuggle pads for him. When I get the thermal hutch delivered I think his hutch should be quite toasty during cold weather.
Would all these measures im taking to ensure he'll be nice and warm in his hutch at night allow me to continue to bring him for a while every day? I don't liie the idea that he'll be confined to his hutch during winter even though the hutch is large in size. I'd be grateful for any advice.

Hi:wave:Sounds like you've already given this lots of thought:thumb:.Keeping draughts away and protection from wind and rain are priorities as well as LOTS of hay for Mr Higgins to snuggle into.Despite these measures its still not a good idea to bring him indoors while the weather is very cold as the temperature difference will be too much.

Just a thought but if youre concerned about him being outside while its chilly you COULD get him bonded with a female from a rescue before the winter sets in.They would be able to snuggle together to keep each other warm and keep each other company too!:)

To be honest I can't stop thinking about protecting him from the cold.
Theres nothing I'd like more than to get him a friend but at the moment I don't have the time as I'm caring for my mother who has just come home from hospital. Besides I'm so new to owning a rabbit the thought of me successfully managing to bond two rabbits scares me to death. I understand bonding can be a long and complicated thing to achieve.

Rabbits actually cope very well with the cold. If they are outdoors from the end of summer onwards they will grow very nice thick winter coats. Hot weather is probably more dangerous for them than cold. As long as they have protection from wind and raid they will be fine. :)

Im considering keeping him indoors during the winter now. He would be able to have a minimum of at least 4 hours running around time every day. I have an indoor cage which he's been in over night a few times when we've had storms and while he recovered from his neutering operation. My question is will he be okay to be in the cage overnight as long as he gets plenty of exercise during the day? I know cages aren't meant to be used as a permanent home for rabbits but if he's going to be indoors for a few months would this be okay?

Do you have a room you could "rabbit proof"like a spare room or something?Those cages are great as hospital or very short term use but TBH abit small otherwise.Bunnies like to stretch their legs and get busy at night.:DOr you could give him a pen in a room in a quiet area but where he can see whats going on and interact with people.Another area which might be suitable to put a pen is under the stairs as long as its an open area of course!If you can set up a pen,the indoor cage could be left in it with the door open so he can use it as a resting area or the base of the indoor cage could be used as a toilet tray.
It would be a good idea bringing him indoors and he will enjoy the company:)

Last edited:
I can't really rabbit proof the spare room at the moment but I will remove the computer desk that is in there and possibly put a pen in there for him. Infact I'm thinking I could use the 4ft x 4ft rabbit run that he uses in the garden as long as it will fit in ok. I have a 7ft x 3ft run on order for him so rather than give away the old one I guess he could live in that over night. He will have plenty of time outside of the run during the day as I'm at home the majority of time caring for my mum.
I'm guessing he will get used to be in the warm (not that the heating would ever be on in the spare room) farely quickly and then in the spring I should gradually get him used to being outside again with frequent but not too long spells in the garden.
My main priority is that hes comfortable and getting lots of human contact during the winter months. I couldn't
bear the thought of him being outide with no company and little excerise during the winter.

That sounds great.:thumb:He will enjoy your company and will be fine with all that opportunity to exercise.Im sure you will enjoy having him indoors too and it will be peace of mind for you as youre caring for your Mum.:)

Maybe in the future have a think about getting him a friend.Its not really much more work with two, or more expensive once their set up is in place and its so lovely watching them together.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I have about 4 weeks to sort the room out for him then. I suppose I should think about bringing him in permanently around the end of September? (Depending on how quickly winter sets in).

Yes, I will definitely consider getting him a friend early spring. Unfortunately it's just not possible at the moment but I'm certainly not against the idea. Thanks again for your comments. I shall definitely need more advice in the future so know when to come now.

Youre welcome:)Yes definitely bring him in before the end of Sept.Its mild now but you know how the weather can suddenly change:roll::)Im sure you will enjoy having him indoors-I did the same as you last year with my pair.Once hes settled he will get used to your routine and youll find you get to know him even better.x

Hello again. Hope I'm not asking stupid questions but I'm after a bit more advice. Ive prepared the spare room for Mr Higgins to come inside for the winter. My question is when exactly should I bring him in? The temperature is going down slightly at night now. It's about 9c overnight. The days are still quite warm so should I bring him in at night and depending on the weather and temperature put him in his run for a while during the day?

Also will he be okay to return permanently outside around March time?
Sorry if these seem silly questions. I'm still a novice at this bunny business!

You could do to get him used to his new accommodation-that would be a good idea if hes the sort of bun who is quite happy to be moved each day.I would bring him in permanently before you turn your central heating on and then keep it on low in the spare room.Temperature wise probably around the 12 degrees mark during the day as he will already be in at night anyway but you will be able to judge it when the time comes and it starts to feel chilly and dampish if that makes sense.
March might be abit early to put him back out again as the nights can still be cold then.I think id wait and see what sort of spring we have as it can vary so much and if youre not sure start a thread then to see what other RUers are doing according to the weather/area youre in.You could put him out on fine days and bring him in nights again as long as its not damp or windy during the day.
Hope all that makes sense.Its hard to give a specific time as our weather is so variable.

Back